Electrical technician (Fire Detection and Protection Systems) in the Beams Department (BE), Industrial Controls & Safety Systems (ICS) Group, Alarm System (AS) Section.
The main functions of Fire Detection and Protection system at CERN is to:
Detect the presence of a fire as early as possible and inform the CERN Fire Brigade, so that an immediate intervention is launched.
Detect any internal fault and notify the Technical Infrastructure so that corrective action can be undertaken.
Execute automatic safety actions for the local protection of personnel and environment, such as emergency evacuation of personnel and smoke compartmentalisation.
The main functions of Emergency Evacuation systems at CERN is twofold:
Warn people of a serious situation that could put their lives in danger.
Serve as the last reminder to evacuate the area rapidly before injection of high-energy particle beams.
You will join:
The Beams (BE) Department, responsible for beam performance over the complete CERN accelerator chain, from the source to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and which carries out Research and Development (R&D) activities on the upgrade of the LHC, its injectors and on future accelerators.
The Industrial Controls and Safety systems (ICS) Group which provides solutions and support for industrial control systems and which develops, installs and maintains CERN's safety systems including fire and gas detection, evacuation and access control.
The Alarm Systems (AS) Section is a six-person team comprising four skilled technicians and two engineers. The section is responsible for the supply, installation, maintenance, operation, renovation and support of all alarm systems. In particular it is responsible for the safety alarm detection and protection systems (Fire, Flammable Gas, Oxygen Deficiency, Toxic Gases and Emergency telephones) and the safety alarm transmission systems to the relevant control rooms (CERN Fire Brigade and CERN Control Centre).
Be responsible for the maintenance and operation of fire detection and emergency evacuation systems at CERN.
Be responsible for the deployment of small works of fire detection and emergency evacuation systems at CERN.
Ensure the organisation, planning and declaration of all the activities.
Ensure the traceability and data quality of the maintenance and works with the CERN Computerized Maintenance Management tool (Infor EAM).
Supervise the work of industrial support contractors and monitor the quality of their work and of the delivered installations. Ensure the respect of installation rules and safety rules.
Identify and propose consolidation works to ensure a continuous improvement of installations.
Work to help minimising spurious alarms.
Ensure adequacy between risk & installation, as well as between installation & as-built drawings.
Collaborate with the CERN Coordination teams, CERN safety responsibles, CERN Fire Brigade and CERN Control Rooms operators for the organisation of fieldwork, interventions, tests.
Collaborate with CERN health and safety inspectors to organise the validation tests.
Work 50% in the field and 50% in the office.
You will benefit from:
The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience into new areas and discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor.
Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
Working in an international scientific environment.
Higher technical diploma diploma in the field of electricity, or equivalent*.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Several years of experience in electrical installation projects or in maintenance of electrical installations.
Several years of experience in technical supervision of industrial support contracts.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control: of maintenance or installation activities.
- Technical supervision of contract.
- Design of electrical circuit layout: mainly interpreting and elaborating electrical drawings. use of software packages such as autocad or autocad electrical.
Demonstrating the following competencies would be an advantage:
Use of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
knowledge of safety standards (i.e. IEC61508/IEC61511).
knowledge of PLC systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Working in teams: Building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: Readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Note that the post will imply working in a mainly French speaking environment.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 2.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Professional Code / Code Professionnel
BECareer Path / Filière de Carrière
Grade 3 or 4