Responsible for the dining room service area, including, but not limited to preparing the dining room for receiving customers, operating the POS Terminal, maintaining cleanliness and stock levels in serving stations, greeting and providing service to customers, and performing basic food and beverage preparation. Ensures the smooth operation of the dining room area during meal periods and special functions, including set-up, customer service, and closing. Performs work in accordance with Institute and regulatory agencies (e.g. ServSafe) safety standards, practices, and protocols.
This is regular part-time position working 25 hours per week with excellent benefits. Benefits include medical & dental benefits, holiday pay and vacation pay.
The Athenaeum at Caltech is a very exciting and beautiful place to work, with its private club/country club environment and its upscale Hotel.
For more information on The Athenaeum, please visit The Athenaeum’s website https://www.athenaeumcaltech.com/
- Under supervision, works from established procedures, verbal and/or written instructions to accomplish assignments, which are routine in nature and where some degree of judgment is required.
- Maintains dining room area, including stocking and set-up according to protocols.
- Maintains overall cleanliness and presentation of dining room area (i.e. vacuuming, watering plants, cleaning tables, etc.)
- Cleans tables and ensures readiness for the next customer.
- Prepares food bars and/or buffet areas with appropriate food items and supplies as directed. Ensures all drink equipment is clean and working properly.
- Conducts inventory of items used and provides order list (i.e. supply needs) according to protocol.
- Provides customer service in ensuring all client needs are met.
- May serve as a cashier in the dining room area (i.e. totaling customer purchases, reconcile POS system and tickets generated, etc.)
- May process and post order tickets according to protocol.
- May have dining room closing responsibilities (i.e. lock-up).
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- At least 6 months of food service experience in restaurants, clubs or hotels.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to obtain a California Food Handler card within 30 days of hire.
- The selected candidate must be able to move, set-up and clear tables and chairs and to carry a minimum of 50 pounds of trays, chairs, tables and furniture repetitively throughout the day.
- Must be able to communicate in English while performing assigned duties and be able to take food order and serve.
- General food knowledge pertaining to sauces, cuts of meat, fish, methods of cooking, etc. including commonly served fish, most popular spices and herbs, different styles of cuisine (Cajun, Provencal, Northern/Southern Italian, etc.).
- Must have general knowledge of wine types such as red, white, sparkling, dessert and American service (plated) in banquets.
- 2 years or more of food service experience in restaurants, clubs or hotels is preferred.
- A California Food Handler card is a plus.
- TIPS and ServSafe certificate preferred.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants