Classification Staff Support-Associate Exempt/Overtime Eligible Overtime Eligible Position Information
Posting Number 16436SP Division/Department Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Laboratory Work Location (City, State or Country) Pasadena, Ca. Functional Title Administrative Assistant Job Category Fulltime Temporary If position is parttime, how many hours per week? If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months? No Benefits Eligible? Yes Relocation Available? No Emergency Reporting Designation? Essential Non-Reporting Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Employment Start Date 11/01/2016 Position End Date (if temporary) 08/31/2017 Anticipated Salary Range Job Summary
The Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (CCE) seeks a motivated individual to provide administrative and clerical support to one research group and general divisional needs. The CCE faculty is among the most distinguished and innovative in the world, actively leading chemical engineering research into new areas of study and application.
Reporting to the CCE Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant will work within a dynamic team of Administrative staff to perform a variety of Administrative duties including general office support, travel coordination, records management, and reporting support.
• Provides administrative assistance to research group, requiring a thorough knowledge of the department processes and Institute policies and procedures.
• Applies advanced knowledge of administrative functions to plan, coordinate and assist in business operations, such as drafting, typing, editing, and proofing correspondence, manuscripts, journal articles, patents, reports, grant proposals and office forms.
• Coordinates tasks and/or projects, tracks deadlines and deliverables; maintains calendars; schedules meetings, appointments and interviews for group members.
• Coordinates travel arrangements and processes expense reports including advances and payment requests; plans and coordinates logistics associated with domestic or international travel; ensures compliance with all funding agency travel requirements.
• Follows up on all outstanding correspondence and documentation to complete the process and to update necessary records.
• Maintains records, document files, and databases electronically and in hard copy; includes patent, publication, and grant files.
• Screens and routes mail/inquiries as appropriate; processes and maintains sensitive and confidential information.
• Interfaces with campus personnel.
• Provides input and/or data to support financial projections.
• Tracks due dates for grant submissions, reports and other correspondence and advises group members to ensure that deadlines are met.
• Prepares grant proposals in conjunction with other offices; maintains files of standard elements of grant proposals, including biographies and descriptions of facilities.
• Tracks purchase requisitions for research group, maintains equipment inventory and maintenance contract lists, etc.
• Prepares documents for publication, and maintains list of publication tracking numbers; ensures that obligations to funding agencies are met (e.g., with respect to open-access requirements).
• Keeps up to date personnel list, project list, lab jobs list, and phone numbers list for the lab.
• Maintains up-to-date information on group members (includes grad students, Postdoctoral Scholars, Visiting Associates, Visitors, and Undergraduate Research Students). Maintains current affiliations of former group members and other information.
• Maintains files of letters of recommendation; prepares letters and forms associated with student and postdoctoral applications for graduate study or employment.
• Plans, organizes and coordinates events such as lunches, meetings (including research group meetings), seminars, and conferences.
• Performs ad hoc assignments as required.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 2+ year of experience working in an academic or research setting.
• Knowledge of relevant software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as email and calendaring programs, Internet systems.
• Highly organized with the ability to work independently, manage competing priorities, and accomplish assigned tasks accurately and in a timely manner.
• Excellent interpersonal relations skills and effective oral and written communication skills necessary to interface with faculty, students and visitors in a professional manner.
• Demonstrates good judgment and initiative.
• Strong word processing and proofreading skills.
• Conscientious, detail-oriented, and proactive.
• Customer service oriented; ability to effectively resolve customer problems by applying policies and procedures.
• Amenable to varied workload, deadlines and priorities.
• Maintains confidentiality.
• Previous Caltech experience, including familiarity with Caltech policies, procedures, and systems including Oracle.
• Experience working on a Mac operating system.
• Experience supporting the grant process, including proposal and report submission.
• Experience supporting senior level faculty.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 09/20/2016 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled No EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No GED/High School Diploma
- GED/High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Other Professional Degree (e.g., JD or MD)
- * Do you have 2+ years of experience working in an academic or research setting?
- * Do you have a knowledge of relevant software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as email and calendaring programs, Internet systems?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents