Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
Join us and start seeing the world in a different light.
ACCELERATE YOUR RESEARCH CAREER: APPLY FOR AN ARC DISCOVERY EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER AWARD AT MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
Macquarie University is seeking to attract the most outstanding international early career researchers to apply for an Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA).
This represents an excellent opportunity for early career researchers at the forefront of their field to work at a leading Australian university, to develop their international research profile, and to build a career as a high impact research and innovation leader of the future.
Researchers from around the world are eligible to apply if they have been awarded a PhD within the last 5 years (after 1 March 2012), or longer if they can demonstrate periods of significant career interruption (maximum period is award of PhD within the last 9 years).
Prestigious, Excellent Remuneration and Support
DECRAs are highly prestigious, and when you join the Macquarie University research community you will enjoy strong institutional support.
The Awards include ARC funding of up to approximately AU$138,000 per year over three years on a full-time basis. The per annum salary contribution from the ARC is approximately AU$98,000, including 30% on-costs, and up to AU$40,000 per annum for project costs.
In addition to the ARC support, Macquarie will provide a highly competitive package that includes salary top-up, supplementation for project costs, access to internal funding, career development, international study programs, and cutting edge infrastructure. The cost of visa applications for successful applicants is also covered.
For details on the outstanding support package Macquarie will provide to you, please contact a Faculty Research Manager.
About the DECRA Funding Scheme
The ARC is the peak Australian Government body that supports the highest-quality fundamental and applied research through national competitive grant schemes across all disciplines (clinical and other medical research is primarily supported by the National Health and Medical Research Council).
The DECRA scheme aims to:
- Support excellent basic and applied research by early career researchers
- Advance promising early career researchers and promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways
- Enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments
- Expand Australia's knowledge base and research capability
- Enhance the scale and focus of research in the Science and Research Priorities
Given the prestige of the DECRA scheme, it is highly competitive. Up to 200 awards are offered each year – an approximate 15% success rate.
Success in the DECRA scheme requires:
- A highly significant and innovative project that advances knowledge, with outcomes that deliver cultural, economic, social and environmental benefits to Australia
- An outstanding research track record that places you at the top of your discipline for your stage of career
- A highly supportive and collaborative research environment that provides you with the intellectual and physical resources required to develop your independent research career
- A project that is feasible within the budget and timeframe of the award and represents value for money
About Macquarie University
Young, modern and innovative
Macquarie University is one of Australia's top 10 universities and is located on a large, green campus within the Macquarie Park Technology Cluster, just a short train ride north of the Sydney CBD. Macquarie's recent 50-year anniversary highlights the University's swift ascension into the ranks of world-leading research-intensive universities. Macquarie's research and teaching excellence spans a diverse range of disciplines and is a testament to the University's commitment to continued excellence and innovation. Under the Macquarie University 2015–2024 Strategic Research Framework, Macquarie has committed to five Future-shaping Research Priorities that will guide University investment in research. These priorities encompass multidisciplinary challenge areas that build on and expand the world-leading research strengths of Macquarie University, maximising national benefit and leading to world-changing impact. They are:
- HEALTHY PEOPLE: Pioneering health, integrated healthcare and lifelong-learning for wellness in our ageing world
- RESILIENT SOCIETIES: Understanding cultures in our changing world and building ethical, just and inclusive communities
- PROSPEROUS ECONOMIES: Strengthening economic productivity to promote prosperity in our diverse world
- SECURE PLANET: Sustaining our interdependent world and exploring our place in the universe
- INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES: Advancing our interconnected world with frontier technologies, systems, designs and creative practice
Internationally engaged and collaborative
Macquarie University has approximately 40,000 students, 10,000 of whom are international. Macquarie researchers have a strong track record in collaboration, nationally and internationally. More than 137 countries have enjoyed research collaborations with Macquarie since 2010. Over 150 researchers at Macquarie across 17 subject areas have published research that is in the top 1% of the world, and Macquarie has a strong commitment to research with $1 billion invested in infrastructure and facilities in recent years. Furthermore, 96% of Macquarie's research activity is regarded by the Australian Government as being of world standard or higher.
The next DECRA funding round will open on 1 February 2017 for funding beginning 1 January 2018. In preparation for this upcoming round, we invite potential candidates to approach one of the Faculty Research Managers at Macquarie University, listed below, or contact an academic staff member at Macquarie University who may be a suitable mentor. Please begin these discussions as soon as possible. Following this initial discussion, you will need to submit an expression of interest by 28 October 2016.
Download the expression of interest form from: http://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-opportunities-at-macquarie/funding-fellowships-and-partnerships/arc/arc-discovery-early-career-researcher-award
When contacting a Macquarie University staff member please include the following information:
- A brief, one paragraph description of your proposed research project
- Potential research mentor(s) at Macquarie University
- Your curriculum vitae, detailing your qualifications, employment history, publications, other research outputs, previous grant success, any research student supervision, and referees
For more information on the DECRA scheme, please visit:
- The Macquarie University information webpage: http://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-opportunities-at-macquarie/funding-fellowships-and-partnerships/arc/arc-discovery-early-career-researcher-award
- The ARC website: http://www.arc.gov.au/discovery-early-career-researcher-award
Links to the Funding Rules and Instructions to Applicants from the previous round are available for download.
Faculty Research Managers
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Business and Economics
Faculty of Human Sciences
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Macquarie Graduate School of Management
Dr Ross Hill
Research Development Consultant
Macquarie University NSW 2109 Australia
Telephone: +61 2 9850 4737
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.