This is an exciting opportunity to join the Professional Services team in the School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences (BMEIS) at King’s College London. We are seeking to appoint an experienced and highly motivated Research Translation and Innovation Manager to stimulate innovation and translation of research activities at the London Institute for Healthcare Engineering.
The London Institute for Healthcare Engineering (LIHE), led by BMEIS, is part of the vision for St Thomas’ MedTech Hub. The Institute is housed in a new building embedded within St Thomas’ campus, which will bring together King’s research excellence, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust’s leading clinical practice and the MedTech sector’s commercial innovation power and talent, engaging multinationals, SMEs and start-ups simultaneously. Its vision is to accelerate the clinical impact of MedTech innovation by building robust MedTech ventures. It aims to become the hub of all MedTech activity in London and the UK by building a strong ecosystem of all key stakeholders in the industry.
The post holder will report to the Head of Clinical Translation and Governance (LIHE) and work alongside the Research Governance and Delivery Manager (LIHE), as well as other professional services staff within LIHE and the School. The post holder will work closely with PIs, academics, and clinicians, offering the necessary support to allow them to move their research towards clinical adoption and impact. This role will include varied responsibilities, such as assisting with licensing, ethics, start-up and de-risking projects for follow-on or industry investment, as well as managing the research and driving grant bids to completion. The post holder will develop and strengthen industry links, facilitating 2-way interactions with large and small companies.
This role is highly varied and will suit a candidate with excellent organisational skills who can work accurately, with close attention to detail in a busy environment with tight deadlines. They will have excellent communication skills and be able to develop good working relationships with the LIHE management team, the School’s academics and researchers, other core Professional Services staff across the School and College, but also a variety of stakeholders in the wider MedTech industry.
We are looking for someone postgraduate qualified, with extensive experience of research project management, interactions with SME’s and industry, and proven track record of building successful client relationships, to become an essential member of the LIHE team.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 3 years.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
This is a hybrid role with at least 3 days on campus.
- To provide support to individual academics/clinicians from the initial idea through to translation. Specifically:
- Discussion of translational ideas and co-production of development plans (with academics), particularly including "signposting" to required expertise (e.g., regulatory approvals, clinical evaluation plan, ethics and governance, IP & licensing, tech-transfer etc.).
- Work with the Translational Research Office and advising on potential sources of funding, facilitating discussions with funders, and providing support and advice for applications.
- Able to support strategies to de-risk the technology.
- Work with the Research Contracts team to support the execution and interpretation of various contract types to facilitate research, e.g., NDA.
- Provide advice on project continuation at an appropriate point (before project ends).
- Work with the Research Governance and Delivery Manager to assist with clinical study set-up, including governance and sponsorship matters, ethics committee submissions as required.
- Liaise with project stakeholders and develop and maintain appropriate levels of engagement with internal and external partners involved in projects.
- Provide administrative leadership and accountability, being actively involved in setting targets and objectives for the research team and reviewing performance against the targets.
- To promote and facilitate translational research across the School and LIHE:
- Work with the LIHE team on organizing training and events and general promotional activities.
- Offer advice or guidance on complex issues relating to research innovation, funding, industrial support, research translation and other relevant topics.
- Identify potential external partners or other sources of income.
- Build a documented knowledge base of best practices, FAQs, relevant policies etc. for ready access by researchers.
- To enhance engagement with industry:
- Connect specific translational programmes with appropriate industry partners.
- Facilitate broader strategic industry engagement for the School and LIHE (beyond the individual project level), with the aim to secure major partnerships and investment.
- Appreciate and investigate stakeholders’ and clients’ requirements, developing the service considering these needs to ensure effectiveness and quality.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff within the School as well as in the College, and across KHP.
- Work with other staff as appropriate to develop and maintain internal and external communications and public relations, including supporting regular reporting and the appropriate use of web and print media.
- Regularly communicate complex information in a clear and precise way.
- Produce bespoke content across a variety of mediums, promote the brand.
- Take both collaborative and independent decisions that have implications for their own and others work.
- Resolve problems where the optimal solution may not be immediately apparent and where there is a need to use judgement to resolve problems that are unpredictable and / or occur infrequently.
- Plan in advance for heavy workload.
- Use own initiative and creativity to solve problems.
- Forecast the impact of new legislation or ethical standards on the School and its research members.
- Organise and service meetings, provide documentation and produce reports as required.
- Assist colleagues with difficult problems when they arise and generally offering advice, guidance, and support to the team.
- Proactively pursue Continuous Personal Development opportunities.
- Handle situations that require sensitivity, a high level of awareness of confidentiality, and general tact and diplomacy.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Post graduate research degree (MSc or PhD) or relevant experience in supporting innovation leading to translation or commercialisation of research
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to liaise with staff at a range of levels internal and external to the organisation
- Experience of facilitating the translation of research and / or the commercialisation of novel technologies
- Experience of managing complex multi-stakeholder projects
- Knowledge of regulations surrounding clinical research
- Knowledge of research grant funding, with an understanding of the research policy and funding environment
- Experience working with industrial collaborators
- Ability to make and carry out decisions and know when to confer with colleagues or refer matters onwards
- Ability to work without direct supervision; to manage own workload through and display good organisational ability and attention to details
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing priorities
- Ability to negotiate with multiple parties and achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to be discrete and maintain confidentiality in accordance with current Data Protection legislation
- Professional project management qualification (e.g., Prince2)
- Experienced in identifying novel technologies and assessing commercialisation potential
- Understanding of commercialisation development plans
- Experience of sourcing funding streams and grant writing
- Understanding and experience of clinical research ethics and applications