Chemical & Process Engineering
Salary: £25,000 to £30,000 per annum
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: Friday 15 December 2023
The University of Surrey is working in partnership with Dermal Laboratories. We have an exciting opportunity for a Scientific Research Assistant to join Dermal Laboratories on a one year fixed term contract. The role will be employed by Derma Laboratories but will be based at the University of Surrey working in our School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Dermal Laboratories is a family-owned and forward-thinking pharmaceutical business with an enviable reputation in dermatological products, several of which are brand leaders.
The purpose of the role is to plan, execute and report on studies for ongoing projects involving topical formulations, and to assess the performance of currently marketed products and those under development utilising various scientific techniques.
The role responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of formulations in the lab during the early-stage research phase, with the aim of identifying critical performance parameters (e.g., solvent mixtures that improve the penetration of the pharmaceutical active ingredients through the skin).
- Ex vivo skin penetration assessments of topical formulations.
- The assessment of in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo performance of currently marketed products and those under development, utilising various scientific techniques, i.e., NIR, DVS, DSC, TEWL, Corneometry, a range of microscope and ultrasound techniques and other assessment methods suitable for the evaluation of formulation performance on the skin and other target organs. Analysis of the research results and strategic planning for further evaluation.
- Development of methodology suitable for the assessment of developed formulations in early research phase.
- Design, develop, and implementation of various studies to support commercial products and new product development.
- Report on research findings and suggest further research direction.
- Conduct literature and database searches.
- Attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
- Responsibility for cleanliness and maintenance of analytical instruments in the thermal labs.
- Liaison with 3rd Parties to achieve project objectives.
- Support of the Head of Product Research and NPD Manager as required.
The successful candidate will hold a pharmacy or related scientific or healthcare discipline qualification, preferably PhD, in addition to:
- A proven track record in dermatological/other biological tissues research.
- Experience in the formulation development and in vitro, ex-vivo and in vivo assessment of formulations.
- Good understanding of the current regulatory requirements and pharmaceutical legislation, a proven track record of problem solving.
- Good organisational, motivational, and diplomatic interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability in their approach to work.
- Self-motivation to take responsibility and ownership of assigned projects, working under pressure to high standards.
- Be commercially astute.
Applications should be made directly to Derma Laboratories by emailing your CV and Cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should outline details of any relevant experience or skills that you will bring to the role.
This job vacancy is advertised on behalf of Dermal Laboratories, and the selected candidate will be employed by Dermal Laboratories. While the role will be based at the University of Surrey's office, the University of Surrey is not the employing entity, and all terms and conditions of employment will be governed by Dermal Laboratories. Any inquiries or correspondence related to the application process and employment should be directed to Dermal Laboratories.