Application closing date: 07/01/2024
Salary: £37,841 per annum
Job category/type: Research
The School of Natural and Built Environment (NBE) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint a Research Fellow to be a highly productive, ambitious and collaborative member of the multinational ARISE team (New York University, University of Texas San Antonio, University of Galway and Queen’s University Belfast).
This Research Fellow will undertake research into the development of a process for robotically assembling structural steel connections with a focus on development and delivery of computer vision and machine learning required to enable a robotic arm to assemble such a connection. This will be carried out collaboratively with the School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate should be available to start in early 2024.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate that you meet the following criteria:
- Have or be about to obtain a *relevant PhD. (*Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering.)
(NB ‘About to obtain’ is normally defined as within 3 months of application date.)
- Relevant research experience to include:
- Research into approaches and use of virtual reality and scene simulation.
- Experience in the use of robotic manipulator and programming and control system.
- Working effectively as part of a research team.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click the Candidate Information link below.
This post is fixed term for 16.5 months. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and International Staff Network) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
About the School
Attractive Reward Package
Information for International Applicants