The Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy (SSPP) is seeking to appoint an Alumni & Stakeholder Engagement Manager to develop and implement a dynamic programme of events, volunteering opportunities and communications, to support and engage our diverse global alumni community. Supporting the strategic ambitions of SSPP this role sits within the Faculty Office Student Experience Team e with a dotted line to the Head of Alumni Relations within the central Alumni Relations function, Fundraising & Supporter Development(F&SD). As Alumni & Stakeholder Engagement Manager, you will lead on all aspects of SSPP’s Alumni Relations Programme, working closely with academics, Faculty and FS&D colleagues to identify meaningful opportunities for alumni to connect, especially contributing to the student experience. The role would be suitable for someone with excellent interpersonal skills, knowledge of alumni engagement strategies, the ability to multitask and a drive for service improvements.
King’s is an inclusive and welcoming university. We embrace diversity and want everyone to bring their whole selves to work and succeed. SSPP supports an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff and students. We are committed to encouraging further growth from diverse groups, and we welcome applications from people of all abilities and currently under-represented groups, which we are able to support with our range of flexible and inclusive benefits.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract This is a full-time post SSPP has a hybrid working approach, with a minimum of 40% of time in the office. Typically, this equates to two days per week, but we’re very happy for colleagues to be in more frequently if they so wish.
Alumni Engagement Programme
- Develop a programme of events, volunteering opportunities and communications that engage and support SSPP’s global alumni community at all stages of life, advancing the ambitions of SSPP.
- Work with the Executive Dean, Director of Operations and colleagues in Schools to devise a programme of activities to engage new and existing contacts of the Faculty.
- To devise and develop a programme of international activities, aligned with the Fundraising and Supporter Development Department (F&SD), raise the Faculty’s profile in key markets and engage alumni groups with the School’s work, current students and recent graduates.
- Alongside colleagues from Student Recruitment, find opportunities to engage alumni with prospective students of SSPP, to inspire and encourage applicants from priority regions.
- Engage alumni to support the student experience, offering professional development advice, mentoring and networking opportunities.
- With Alumni Relations, manage the student to alumni transition, leading SSPP’s presence at graduation, sharing alumni benefits and welcoming our newest graduates to their lifelong alumni community.
- Work with Alumni Relations to support alumni reunion organisers.
Strategy and Planning
- Work with key Faculty leads to devise and implement a mutually beneficial alumni relations strategy, building a supportive alumni community, that feed into achieving key strategic priorities for the Faculty around Education, Research and Engagement.
- Work with the Head of Alumni Relations and the Alumni Relations Team to ensure all activities complement the University’s central alumni relations strategy and embed best proactive alumni engagement in everything we do.
- Develop and monitor ambitious engagement KPIs for the Faculty alumni relations and stakeholder engagement activity. Present this data and accompanying recommendations to both the F&SD and Faculty leadership teams to inform future strategy.
- Identify and engage with relevant external networks and memberships to ensure the Faculty is equipped with the latest innovations and best practice to support strategy and delivery.
- Develop and implement evaluation processes for all alumni and stakeholder engagement activities, ensuring a process of continuous improvement.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant student societies and groups, to engage alumni in their activity and to build networks with key future alumni ambassadors.
- Proactively identify, manage and cultivate relationships with a pool of influential alumni, in the UK and overseas, who have the potential to support Faculty priorities.
- Work with the Major Gifts team in F&SD to develop high level engagement opportunities, enhancing relationships with senior alumni, prospects and donors, moving them through the engagement funnel.Develop an in depth understanding of the Faculty’s global community, and work with alumni group leaders in the UK and international markets to promote activity and raise the profile of SSPP.
- Provide support to the SSPP Vice Dean International.
- To be a pro-active conduit between SSPP and FS&D, coordinating reports, newsletters and sharing updates and information.
- Work with SSPP Communications and Events teams to deliver a cohesive and complementary approach, ensuring best practice in both stakeholder engagement and service delivery.
- Work with colleagues in the Communications team to create social media content across all channels that is reflective of our diverse alumni community and encourages interaction with our global alumni audience.
- Develop relationships with academic staff and influential stakeholders across the Faculty to advance alumni outreach for their key priorities.
- Work proactively across the university, building effective partnerships with Fundraising, Careers & Employability, Marketing, Student Experience and Global Engagement, to identify opportunities to engage SSPP alumni with King’s.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to degree level, or with relevant professional experience
2. Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-building skills; confident in working with stakeholders from all backgrounds and levels of seniority.
3. A flair for creating engagements that are interesting, useful and enjoyable for all parties.
4. Experience of strategic planning and the ability to follow through with delivery, including high attention to detail.
5. Demonstrable experience of successfully managing projects of all shapes and sizes on time and on budget.
6. Ability to robustly evaluate activities against stated aims, budgets and strategy; and the fortitude to recommend changes in direction where necessary.
7. Ability to influence and collaborate productively with a range of internal and external stakeholders and bring others along with new ideas and innovations
8. Exceptional communication skills across all platforms and channels and familiarity with CRM management, such as Raiser’s Edge or other systems.
9. Ability to work under own initiative, think creatively and solve problems when they arise.
10. Willingness to attend a significant number of commitments outside of office hours, and to travel internationally when required.
11. Rigorously prioritise workload to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the alumni relations strategy.
1. Higher Education alumni relations experience
2. Existing membership of, or engagement with, relevant professional networks in this field
3. Prince 2 or similar project management qualification
All F&SD aligned appointments involve a standard skills-based interview followed (for up to two appointable candidates) by a Core Values interview.
Further Information on the Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy
Further Information on Fundraising & Supporter Development department