Job no: 0060655
Role type: Full-time; Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Biomedical Sciences
Salary: Level A– $80,258 – $108,906 p.a. plus 17% super
- Drive the culture of innovation and creativity to enhance the research performance of the University to achieve excellence in teaching and research outcomes!
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
As the Research Assistant, you will participate in the research program of Prof Lachlan Coin within the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Doherty Institute. This research program is focused on developing genomic and transcriptomic approaches to identify the molecular basis of drug resistance in a variety of pathogenic bacterial species, developing approaches for the detection of bacterial pathogens in primary samples and long-read RNA-sequencing.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Independently, and alongside other researchers, plan and carry out experiments accurately and reproducibly, focused on completion of research project aims to meet agreed timelines and milestones.
- Supervise junior research staff in the appointee’s area of expertise.
- Work closely with supervisors and collaborators to ensure timely and efficient progress towards project aims.
Who We Are Looking For
We are seeking an agile Research Assistant who can effectively demonstrate high-level organisational skills and can possess the ability to work within a team as well as autonomously. You will have outstanding oral and written communication skills that enable you to build and maintain professional levels of rapport with various colleagues and stakeholders of all diversities.
You will also have:
- BSc (Honours)/master’s degree or equivalent with a major in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline.
- Experience of aseptic technique, microbial culture, DNA/RNA extraction and PCR Ability to work with senior researchers and help design, perform and analyse experiments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake administrative duties relating to the management of both the research laboratory and department.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – Biomedical Sciences
As part of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences since 2015, the school comprises three Departments, Departments of Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, and Microbiology and Immunology. It has 85 research groups across the three departments, awarding-winning teachers and more than 2500 equivalent full-time student enrolments each year.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact us via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 15 December 2023 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)
Position Description: 0060655_PD_Research_Assistant.pdf