Aiming to build an international, innovative and top-ranking music conservatory, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, is integrating extraordinary teaching and research resources to compose a world-class outstanding teaching team. Welcome talents from all over the world to join.
I. Academic Positions opened for recruitment
The School of Music, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen) is looking for an academic staff in Musicology
Professor / Associate Professor in Musicology
II. Who We Are
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (CUHK-Shenzhen) was established in 2014 in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Chinese-foreign Cooperation in Running Schools upon approval of the Ministry of Education. It inherits the educational philosophy and academic systems of The Chinese University of Hong Kong and is committed to nurturing high-end talents with global perspective, Chinese tradition and social responsibility. It offers 4-year undergraduate programmes plus postgraduate studies at both master and doctorate levels. Currently with over 7000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, CUHK-Shenzhen offers programmes in science and engineering, management and economics, humanities and social science, data science, medicine, and music (from 2021 onwards). Most of the courses in CUHK-Shenzhen are taught in English.
With the strong support of the Shenzhen Government, CUHK-Shenzhen was given the responsibility to plan and establish the Shenzhen Conservatory of Music, initially as a School of the University, which will recruit the first batch of undergraduate students in 2021. The School of Music has 4 Streams namely Composition, Musicology, Performance and Dance. Recruitment for the 2021 cohort will begin with the Performance Streams listed above. Other majors in Performance (Chinese Music, Musical Theatre and Dance) will commence later. A purposely-built campus is planned for completion by end of 2024.
III. Where is Shenzhen
Bordering Hong Kong in the south by a river, Shenzhen was established as a Special Economic Zone in 1980. After years of hard work and with the influx of talents, Shenzhen is now well-known as a global technology hub and is dubbed by the media as the China Silicon Valley. In 2019, Shenzhen was ranked 14th in the Global Financial Centres Index and boasts the third busiest container port in the world. With the actual administrative population close to 20 million spreading over 9 Districts, its GDP surpassed Hong Kong in 2018 mounting to 2.42 trillion RMB. It has been ranked second on the list "Top 10 cities to visit in 2019" by Lonely Planet Culturally, the Shenzhen Symphony Orchestra was established in 1982 and regularly performs in the Shenzhen Concert Hall, Shenzhen Grand Theatre, and Shenzhen Poly Theatre. In late 2018, the Government announced a plan of its Ten Major Cultural Constructions which includes several museums, an opera house, and the CUHK-Shenzhen School of Music (the Shenzhen Conservatory of Music).
IV. Job Description
- Professor / Associate Professor position in the Musicology Division; specializing in Chinese Music History, or Western Music History, or Music Aesthetics;
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses and supervising thesis research according to the approved teaching syllabus;
- Assisting in building a domestic and international academic network; providing employment guidance and suggestions for graduates; participating in various domestic and international academic activities; engaging in academic research related to musicology; publications based on yearly evaluation.
- Besides, this position requires also as the curator of music library who is responsible for planning, management and development of the library.
V. Qualification requirements
- A doctoral degree in musicology;
- A wide range of academic influence;
- Previous teaching experiences in Chinese Music History, Western Music History, and Music Aesthetics (or one of the above);
- Have been granted the title of associate professor or above;
- A profound scientific research background and achievements.
- Proficient in music scores, books and audiovisuals;
- Have a deep understanding of international and domestic music publications.
VI. Salary & Benefits
Salary will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience and accomplishments. Appointments will be made under the establishment of CUHK-Shenzhen, and employee benefits will be provided according to the relevant labor laws of Mainland China as well as CUHK - Shenzhen regulations. Subsidies from various government-sponsored talent programmes will also be made available for eligible candidates.
VII. To apply
Please prepare a full curriculum vitae in English】and upload through the online application system: http://academicrecruit.cuhk.edu.cn/views/positionapply/mus. Information in the link marked with * are mandatory. Applicant information will be kept strictly confidential.
The recruitment will be closed up to the above positions are filled, and candidates who have submitted information do not need to submit the information again.