Salary: £54,000 to £58,000 per annum depending on experience
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Wednesday 13 December 2023
Interview Date: Monday 18 December 2023
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research.
We are ambitious and have a bold vision of what we want to achieve - shaping ourselves into one of the best universities in the world, which we are achieving through the talents and endeavour of every employee.
Our culture empowers people to achieve this aim and to collectively make a real difference.
This is a unique opportunity to join our Surrey Research Park team and lead the engagement activities that bring our business tenants, university services and regional stakeholders together to create a thriving innovation district in Surrey.
The Surrey Research Park is a community of over 200 businesses operating in the science and technology sectors and is owned and operated by the University of Surrey as part of the university campus in Guildford. The Park has premises to accommodate varying needs, ranging from a single desk in our SETsquared Surrey incubator, units suitable for between three– several hundred employees, to whole buildings designed to suit the tenants’ needs. Buildings are used as a mix of laboratories, offices and light manufacturing, all set in Green Flag awarded lush landscaping.
The Surrey Research Park engagement activities are part of a wider suite of programmes that the University of Surrey delivers to support commercialisation, industry partnerships and knowledge exchange. It makes up an essential local part of the innovation ecosystem and provides an important facilitation role, supporting businesses to access university research collaborations and student / graduate skills.
About the role
- The Head of Engagement role is central to the success of the Research Park community, ensuring through its remit it is adding value to all stakeholders and contributing to regional growth and development.
- The role sits within the Innovation District portfolio and works alongside a Head of Communication who manages the brand, digital assets, marketing activities and tenant communication for the Research Park.
- The team also includes roles specialised in business incubation, investment and civic engagement. The role has a close working relationship with the Research Park operations team who manage the facilities and tenancy contracts.
- The role holder will line manage an Engagement and Communication Officer, supporting their development and delivery of key objectives.
To be successful in this role you will need to evidence the following;
- Strong relationship management skills and excellent communication skills to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience of engaging with a range of public and private stakeholders.
- Ideally with an understanding of innovative ecosystems and the role universities play in supporting regional growth and development.
- Experience of creating events to engage a range of audiences such as knowledge exchange events and their management.
- This is a business tenant facing role and so customer service-related skills and experience are essential, including negotiating and influencing.
How to apply
To apply please attach your CV and a cover letter outlining how you meet the essential criteria described in the job description.
Interviews to take place at the Surrey Research Park on Monday 18th December 2023
- 35 Days Holiday (20 Days Annual Leave + 7 University Closure Days + Bank Holidays)
- Additional Day of Leave per year of service for 5 years
- Pension contribution between 3-9% (matched by Employer)
Further details: Job Description