School/Department: Cranfield Defence and Security
Based at: Cranfield or Shrivenham, Oxfordshire
Hours of work: 37 hours per week, normally worked Monday to Friday. Flexible working will be considered
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: Lecturer: Range £48,039 to £57,797 per annum with potential progression to £70,000 per annum Senior Lecturer: Range £60,099 to £69,505 per annum with potential progression to
£85,000 per annum
Apply by : 07/12/2023
The Complex Systems Group sits within the Centre for Electronic Warfare, Information & Cyber. The Group focuses on teaching, research and consultancy in Complex Systems in health, industry charities, blue-light services and defence and security. We run an MSc/Apprenticeship in Systems Thinking Practice, with open cohorts at our Cranfield Campus and closed cohorts in Nottingham for the NHS Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Integrated Care Board. This course has been designed to educate and develop systems thinking practitioners and is aligned to the IfATE Level 7 Systems Thinking Practitioner Apprenticeship Standard.
About the Role
You will be responsible for the development and teaching of high-quality courses at postgraduate level, principally on the Systems Thinking Practice Apprenticeship/MSc, as well as being actively involved in the promotion, development, and management of the programme. As a Senior Lecturer, you will also assume Course Director responsibility.
- Undertaking teaching, teaching preparation, development, support and management
- Planning and reviewing own approach to teaching and contributing to the design or revision of course modules and short courses
- Student supervision and Apprentice/Manager/Academic Tripartite Reviews
- Provide expert advice to other staff and students in own specialist areas
- Undertaking consultancy and scholarship
- Identifying and developing consultancy and scholarship opportunities, proposals and funding bids in the field of Systems Thinking and Complex Systems
You will have a PhD (or nearing completion) in an appropriate field related to Systems Thinking.
As a Lecturer you will have experience of:
- Teaching, and supervising student dissertations
- Relevant, significant practitioner experience in resolving complex organisational issues
- Contributing to course development, module design and teaching
Additionally for Senior Lecturer, you will have experience of:
- Significant experience as Master’s or undergraduate course director
- Leadership in the critical areas of, new module and course development, course management, business development, managing collaborative networks
- Substantial contributions in teaching, and leadership and management
- Supervising student dissertations and projects at Master’s Level
As a Lecturer you will have achieved or working towards Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. This is essential for Senior Lecturer.
As a specialist postgraduate university, Cranfield’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships are creating leaders in technology and management globally. Learn more about Cranfield and our unique impact here.
Our Values and Commitments
Our shared, stated values help to define who we are and underpin everything we do: Ambition; Impact; Respect; and Community. Find out more here.
We aim to create and maintain a culture in which everyone can work and study together and realise their full potential. We are a Disability Confident Employer and proud members of the Stonewall Diversity Champions Programme. We are committed to actively exploring flexible working options for each role and have been ranked in the Top 30 family friendly employers in the UK by the charity Working Families. Find out more about our key commitments to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and Flexible Working here.
Collaborating and connecting are integral to so much of what we do. Our Working Arrangements Framework provides many staff with the opportunity to flexibly combine on-site and remote working, where job roles allow, balancing the needs of our community of staff, students, clients and partners.
How to apply
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Jeremy Hilton, Head of Complex Systems Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews for successfully shortlisted applicants will be held 14 December 2023 in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire.