School/Unit: School of Arts and Social Sciences
Location: Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Remuneration: Range of MYR 7,105 - 9,677 + Loading (where applicable) / monthly
- Amplify your impact at a world top 50 University
- Join our inclusive, collaborative community
- Be surrounded by extraordinary ideas - and the people who discover them
At Monash, work feels different. There’s a sense of belonging, from contributing to something groundbreaking – a place where great things happen.
We value difference and diversity, and welcome and celebrate everyone's contributions, lived experience and expertise. That’s why we champion an inclusive and respectful workplace culture where everyone is supported to succeed.
Together with our commitment to academic freedom, you will have access to quality research facilities, infrastructure, world class teaching spaces, and international collaboration opportunities.
Learn more about Monash.
The School of Arts and Social Sciences at Monash University Malaysia is one of the premier humanities and social science research and teaching institutions in Malaysia. The School offers studies at undergraduate, honours and postgraduate levels. It oversees three undergraduate degree programmes: the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences (with majors in Communications, Gender Studies, Global Studies, and Film, Television, and Screen Studies), the Bachelor of Arts (Honours), and a specialist communications degree in the Bachelor of Digital Media and Communication. In addition, the School offers a specialist communications postgraduate degree, the Masters in Communications and Media Studies (by coursework), as well as a Doctoral degree by research.
The School and Campus are investing in Media and Communication Studies. The School is revitalising its Communications educational offerings, complementing the strong theoretical foundations of its units and courses with a greater focus on industry and social issues, including more authentic, industry-facing and socially relevant learning and assessment. New media and communications facilities are being developed to come onstream in 2024. This is an exciting time to be joining the School as a Media and Communications scholar.
The School now seeks a Lecturer (Level B) in Media and Communication Studies. A Level B academic is expected to make contributions to the teaching effort of the university and to carry out activities to maintain and develop their scholarly, research and/or professional activities relevant to the profession or discipline.
The appointee will develop and teach undergraduate and postgraduate units within the School, mainly teaching on the Communications major of the Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences, the Bachelor of Digital Media and Communication, and the Masters of Communication and Media Studies. They will be responsible for undertaking activities that maintain and develop scholarly research and professional activities related to the discipline.
The appointee is expected to have a demonstrated interest and record of research and publications in digital media and culture, and evidence of or potential for successful grant capture. Given the location and focus of the School, research and teaching interests with a focus on Asian contexts would be highly desirable. Also desirable is a specialism in any of the following:
- sustainability, media and communications;
- climate change, media and communications;
- communications, tech and governance;
- health, media and communications;
- the sociology of digital technology.
The School is also interested in researchers with teaching experience in broadcasting or digital analytics.
- Contribute to curriculum development, innovation, enhancement and quality assurance in the undergraduate and postgraduate units
- Deliver innovative and excellent teaching, learning and assessment experiences for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Conduct original research, developing an active record of publication and starting to build a profile of grants and supervision
- Participate in collaborations with other universities and with government, industry and/or civil society to drive research impact and educational excellence
- Support the management of education, research and/or administration in the School through, for example, participation in committees
- To work closely with the Director of the Bachelor of Digital Media and Communication to develop forward-thinking courses that help prepare students for various organizational, agency, nonprofit, and government settings.
- Development of course material with appropriate advice from and support of more senior staff
- Marking and assessment
- Consultation with students
- A range of administrative functions the majority of which are connected with the subjects in which the academic teaches
- Involvement in professional activity
- Attendance at departmental, school and/or faculty meetings and/or memberships of a number of committees’ including roles in planning or committee work.
Key Selection Criteria:
- A doctoral qualification (PhD) or equivalent qualification in Communication Studies, Media Studies or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to teach in a university environment
- Demonstrated ability to produce excellent research, including outputs and grants, and supervision of Undergraduate/Honours students
- Demonstrated ability to work with partners in universities, government and/or civil society
- Demonstrated skills and experience in collaboration and teamwork
Reporting Line: The position reports to the Director of the Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies.
Why work with us?
Discover the advantages of working with us and why we’re the ideal choice for your career. Explore the benefits we offer here.
*For LinkedIn Users, please click apply to view the position description at our career site
Your application must address the selection criteria. For instructions on how to apply, please refer to “How to apply for Monash Jobs”.
For further enquiries, please email us at email@example.com
Monash University Malaysia reserves the right to delay or not to proceed with an appointment for the above-mentioned position.
Job Closing Date
31 December 2023, 11:55 pm MYT