Fibre and Communication Group
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £34,980 to £42,978 Per annum
Full Time Fixed Term to 31/10/2025
Closing Date: Tuesday 26 December 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Senior Optical Fibre Fabricator
We are seeking a Senior Experimental Officer to support engineering and research in the development of advanced Hollow Core optical fibres. The successful candidate will work at the University of Southampton, a research-led institution in the top one percent of world Universities, within the Hollow Core fibre team (https://www.southampton.ac.uk/research/institutes-centres/hollow-core-fibre) at the renowned Optoelectronics Research Centre. The project will involve strong collaboration with the Microsoft Azure Fiber team in Romsey.
The successful candidate will be working on fabrication of novel optical preforms and fibres, including all aspects of glass preform manufacture, optical fibre drawing, polymer coating optimisation and fibre characterisation. The project will involve a close interaction with the design and development teams to successfully transfer novel research ideas into manufacturing. Key challenges will be in the consolidation of established fibre designs and in the development of fabrication technologies for more innovative designs.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Fabrication of new microstructured preforms and optical fibres
- Support the development and transfer of manufacturing processes
- Development of process control tools and identification of trends and correlations
- Collaboration with equipment suppliers on process and equipment improvements
- Development of operating procedures and process control documentation
This position is best-suited for a person who seeks to cultivate high-impact skills at the forefront of advanced optical technology and achieve mastery in a range of cutting-edge fibre-optic manufacturing techniques.
This is a fixed-term post, with potential for an unlimited subsequent extension.
Ideal candidates will have a BSc or Higher Degree in Photonics, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Applied Optics, Physics (or equivalent experience), and 3+ years’ work experience in an optics-based manufacturing environment.
As a minimum, the successful applicant must demonstrate relevant competence in advanced manufacturing or assembly, ideally in the domain of optical fibres or fibre-optic components. This should be accompanied by strong problem-solving ability, and experience in troubleshooting complex systems. Additionally, the following experience would be highly advantageous:
- Experience in the use of a glass-working lathe and/or a fibre draw tower
- Practical knowledge of optical fibres and their properties
- Knowledge of cleanroom working environment and disciplines
- Proficiency with basic optical test equipment
Key attributes sought:
- Logical and scientific attitude when dealing with problems
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Capacity to clearly communicate and document ideas, issues and proposals
What we can offer
The successful applicant will be provided with detailed training and supervision in each of the applicable manufacturing processes.
Check out the staff benefits and why you should join us at The University of Southampton
For more information, please email Prof Francesco Poletti firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline is midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need assistance, call Recruitment on +44 (0) 23 8059 2750, or email email@example.com. Quote the advert reference 2533823PN on all correspondence.