Job no: 0060595
Role type: Full-time; Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Science
School: School of Physics
Salary: Lecturer (Level B) - $114,645 - $136,136 p.a. OR Senior Lecturer (Level C) - $140,433 - $161,926 p.a. plus 17% super
- Lead an independent research program
- Research and teach students in a prestigious academic environment
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
The University of Melbourne's School of Physics is actively seeking an exceptional astrophysicist to join the Astrophysics group. The group, known for its diverse research interests, is dedicated to excellence in research, undergraduate teaching, and graduate student research training.
The position is open to all fields of astrophysics, both theoretical and observational. While experience with existing faculty is favorable, the group is equally interested in expanding into new areas, such as exoplanetary astrophysics.
You will be expected to lead an independent research program adhering to high standards of rigor, originality, and scholarship.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conduct a program of research that contributes to the Astrophysics discipline in the School of Physics
- Contribute actively to the high-quality development and review of curriculum.
- Publish research findings in international refereed journals and present results at seminars, conferences, and meetings
- Actively participate in the School’s undergraduate and graduate teaching programs, including the preparation and delivery of lectures, practicals and field work programs.
- Contribute to a range of administrative functions, including those connected with teaching responsibilities and the conduct of the academic affairs of the School
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for an astrophysics who has a strong passion to supervise undergraduate and graduate research students. You’ll also need to have excellent verbal and written communication skills to engage with a broad range of stakeholders including researchers and students.
You will also have:
- A PhD in Astrophysics or a related discipline
- An established track record of high-quality publications in leading international journals, relative to career opportunity in the general areas of astrophysics
- Evidence of the ability to attract external research funding from national competitive research bodies and other sources, possibly including industry
- Evidence of the ability to teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses on discipline topics including astrophysics and physics
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Please note: Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
Your New Team – Faculty of Science and the Astrophysics Group
Science at Melbourne is a global leader across fundamental and impactful scientific research and education. Science begins with curiosity, and we are dedicated to understanding the universe from the level of sub-atomic particles to the solar system. We aim to be leaders who positively impact the community locally and globally, addressing major societal issues from climate change to disease. Our discoveries help build an understanding of the world around us. For more information, please vist-http://www.science.unimelb.edu.au
The Astrophysics group at the University of Melbourne has a broad range of research interests, and a strong commitment to excellence in research, undergraduate teaching, and graduate student research training within one of the world’s best universities.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
- A statement of research interests
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Ana via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 1 FEBRUARY 2024 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)
Position Description: 0060595_Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Astrophysics_PD.pdf