53 Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
Startdate: 01.01.2024 | Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 31.12.2029
Reference no.: 1673
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of play:
Your future position is at the Department of Geography and Regional Research (IfGR) that is part of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy. More than 100 academic staff and more than 3000 students at the IfGR appreciate the diversity of subjects within both human and physical geography. The interdisciplinary basis in both social and natural sciences that provides a dynamic and inspiring environment to address critical societal challenges of our generation. The IfGR conducts outstanding research and stands out with its internationality.
Within the IfGR your future position is assigned to the Working Group of Spatial Research and Spatial Planning. The Group deals with classical research within planning sciences as well as with trans- and interdisciplinary research approaches of social-ecological research. Furthermore, we are particularly committed to the fundamental examination of planning as a science and its scientific enhancement.
Accordingly, we encourage you to submit an intriguing research proposal that illustrates your area of interest, pointing out the specific links to spatial planning and sustainability transformations. Moreover, in this proposal you should discuss the incorporation of novel approaches to research spatial transformations in many kinds. These novel approaches could be theoretical, methodological or instrumental, based on your former work.
Your future tasks:
Active participation in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You contribute to the interdisciplinary- and transdisciplinary research and teaching profile of the Working Group Spatial Research and Spatial Planning, with the opportunity to develop your specific focus and profile within the field of spatial research and spatial planning
- You acquire and manage third-party research projects
- You publish and present research results in international peer-reviewed journals, with a specific focus on planning as well as transition literature
- You teach courses independently, as defined by the University of Vienna’s collective agreement
- You supervise students and develop innovative curriculums on emerging topics that incorporate novel pedagogical methods
- You undertake administrative responsibilities
- You participate in science management, including transdisciplinary missions, e.g. the organization of workshops, conferences, networks etc. with (non-)academic stakeholders
This is part of your personality:
- Completed doctoral/PhD studies in subject of Spatial Planning, Geography, Environmental Sciences, Architecture, Interdisciplinary Studies, or a related field with a strong orientation on spatial transformation
- Outstanding dissertation
- Proven competence in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research, proven experience and interest in theoretical approaches (in sustainability transitions or further)
- Experiences in spatial planning perspectives and approaches to spatial transformations are an asset
- Proven experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods, with a high interest in transdisciplinary research methods (realworld-labs, citizen assemblies etc.)
- Proven ability to publish in international journals as well as science-to-public outlets
- Proven teaching experience with excellent track record and skills with regards to both undergraduate and graduate curricula
- Willingness to contribute to the development of innovative teaching formats and research management
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, working knowledge of German is required or to be acquired
- Team player and high social/communicative skills
- Experience in successful external fundraising and project management is a significant advantage
What we offer:
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in an inspiring inter- and transdisciplinary research environment embedded in the Working Group Spatial Research and Spatial Planning and a healthy and fair working environment.
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fixed-term contract and fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4,351.90 (14 times a year) for a period of 6 years increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your letter of motivation
- With your scientific curriculum vitae
- With your list of publications
- With your degree certificates
- With your research proposal (1-2 pages)
- With your evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any content questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 01/07/2024