53 Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy
Startdate: 01.01.2024 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 31.12.2026
Reference no.: 1684
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be More than 7,500 academics at the University of Vienna thrive on continuous exploration and curiosity and help us better understand our world. Does this sound like you? Then join our accomplished team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
As a university assistant PraeDoc you will support the research teams of Prof. Stephan Glatze! (Geoecology) and Prof. Thomas Glade (Physical Geography). You will take on tasks such as collaboration in international cooperations, support in the acquisition of third-party funded projects, integration into both working groups and taking over selected and jointly agreed administrative tasks.
The focus of our research lies in the Physical Geography group in geomorphological research in the areas of Landslides, "human impact" on geosystems and spatial modelling of geomorphological processes as weil as global environmental change. The Geoecology group has a strong research competence on wetlands with a strong focus on carbon cycles.
Prof. Glatzel's team currently consists of 2 PostDocs and 2 PraeDocs. Prof. Glade's group consists of 4 PostDocs, 6 PraeDocs and 2 research assistants. Both working groups are supported by a total of 5 administrative colleagues.
What characterize us as a team is our outstanding, nationally and internationally very visible research, our active contributions to national and international research networks, an interesting basic education in the Bachelor's degree program and in the teaching profession as weil as research-oriented knowledge transfer in the Master's degree with theoretical and conceptual foundations, including very practice-oriented field and laboratory work. lt is particularly important to us, that every employee is highly motivated to do their own work, enjoy being part of a team and is open to challenges.
Your future tasks:
You actively participate in research, teaching & administration, which means:
- You support research projects and scientific studies in the fields of Geoecology and Geomorphology. We expect that you complete your dissertation agreement within 12-18 months.
- You will work independently on your dissertation and its completion.
- You will hold lectures based on the collective agreement.
- You will fulfil selected administrative tasks in research and teaching.
- You will support student supervision and examination activities.
- You will be involved in evaluation measures and in quality assurance.
This is part of your personality:
- Completed Master's/Diploma degree in Geography (specializing in Physical Geography, Process Geomorphology or equivalent), Geoecology, Environmental Geosciences or related disciplines.
- Same experience in scientific writing and research methods (e.g. as part of your previous thesis)
- Didactic skills / experience in e-learning
- IT skills (e.g. MS Office, ArcGIS for desktop and server, experience with programs for modelling carbon fluxes, literature database, Adobe products)
Desirable Knowledge of:
- Field and laboratory-based analysis; spatial measurement, analysis and modelling of carbon fluxes; strong interest in working with spatial data; GIS applications; project management.
- Excellent English language skills (Cl) are required.
- You are a team player with high social/communication skills.
- You are looking forward to new tasks and are willing to be a part of scientific discourse.
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours and can partially work remotely.
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
Duration of contract: The employment duration is 3 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
It is that easy to apply:
- With your scientific curriculum vitae / letter of intent
- With your summary of research interests / ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal
- Master Degree / Diploma
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 12/18/2023