Classification: ANU Officer 8 (Administration) OR Senior Manager 1 (Administration)
OR Academic Level B OR Academic Level C
Salary package: $107,263-$143,433 per annum plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full time, Fixed term (up to 2 years)
- Establish Cybernetics in Australia and activate it for national capability building.
- Deliver value to the ANU through exceptional education, research and engagement activities.
- Build a strong diverse culture for an impact-oriented school, of the scale to support ANU and the nation.
- Generate sustainable funding for ANU through education, research and engagement.
About the College
The ANU by 2025 Strategic Plan calls for the University to serve society through transformational research and education. As one of the great universities of the world, ANU is driven by a culture of excellence in everything we do. Our lived experience is increasingly one of large-scale systems of people, whose actions and interactions are influenced by our digital, physical and biological environment. The ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics (CECC) hosts three of the key disciplines necessary to help us design, build, regulate and secure the future.
CECC brings together expertise in social, technical, computational, ecological and scientific systems to build a new approach to systems design and build new national capabilities in data-driven policy and business development. The work we do in the College directly supports one of the four pillars of ANU by 2025: to strengthen our national mission and meet our unique responsibilities as Australia’s national university. We will deliver on our mission by building a strong community, providing transformative educational experiences, conducting high-impact research, seeking meaningful engagement, and becoming a resilient organisation.
We welcome and openly acknowledge differences in expertise, research/education / professional focus, experience and perspective.
Located within the College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics (CECC), the ANU School of Cybernetics is focused on establishing Cybernetics as an essential tool for navigating major societal transformations through capability building, policy development and safe, sustainable, and responsible approaches to new systems. The School of Cybernetics is creatively and collaboratively creating new knowledge, learning experiences and engagement opportunities.
The School of Cybernetics is the first new school established at the ANU in the 21st Century. The School will build on the foundational work of the Autonomy, Agency and Assurance Innovation Institute (3Ai), and also develop capacity in systems and design. Cybernetics is at the heart of the work of the school as a tool that sparks new ways of thinking and possibilities for the future. We focus on systems as a unit of analysis and driver of action for industries working with complexity, and we are generating new approaches to shape the future through and with technology. The school creates programs that blend education, research and engagement, giving staff the opportunity to create new ways of working, to imagine something different, built on a diverse, inclusive culture.
About the opportunity
There is one full-time fixed-term appointment for up to 2 years. The School of Cybernetics is seeking a motivated individual to join our team to provide specialist experience to establish the field of cybernetic futures. We are dedicated to helping lead and enrich conversations about credible and hopeful futures through and with technology.
The ideal candidate will:
- be able to develop, advance and extend knowledge of the School of Cybernetics outputs including research and creative outputs, engagement opportunities, and learning experiences.
- be a self-starter with strong experience in developing internal and external relationships to initiate and complete collaborative projects
- be an outstanding writer, communicator and teacher with excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- be confident in sharing new knowledge in effective ways
Applications are particularly invited from individuals who undertake high-impact collaborative and cross-disciplinary research and who have an interest and expertise in Futures.
To enquire about this role, please contact Andrew Meares, Futures Lead, via email Andrew.Meares@anu.edu.au.
The University actively encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For more information on employment opportunities, contact our Indigenous Employment Consultant on firstname.lastname@example.org
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
What we offer
The ANU provides attractive benefits and excellent support to maintain a healthy work/life balance and offers generous remuneration benefits, including four weeks paid vacation per year, assistance with relocation expenses and 17% employer contribution to superannuation. We also offer generous parental leave, the possibility of flexible and part time working arrangements, a parental and aged care support program, dual career hire programs, staff and family tuition fee discounts, ANU school holiday programs, and childcare facilities on campus. For more information, visit: https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources
How to apply
Applicants must apply online via the ANU recruitment portal and should upload the following separate documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV) including a full publication list (if applicable) and the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees, you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- A 3-page statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A 1-2 page statement on 'What is cybernetics?'
- (Optional for applicants) achievement relative to opportunity statement where appropriate
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful candidate must have rights to live and work in this country and will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
Closing at: Jan 14 2024 at 23:55 AEDT