SCHOOL OF CREATIVE ARTS
ACADEMY OF VISUAL ARTS
Established in 2005, the Academy of Visual Arts (AVA) is the first university academy of its kind in Hong Kong, providing professional visual arts undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree programmes linked to international exchange and the vibrant creative industries in Hong Kong and in the global arena.
The Academy is committed to nurturing creative and professional talent of international renown and strives to provide the very best in visual arts education, combining studio-based practice and research, critical and historical studies, and sustainable service for the cultural and creative sectors as well as for the community at large.
Professor / Associate Professor / Assistant Professor in Chinese Arts (Multiple Positions) (PR0316/23-24)
The Academy now invites applications for full-time faculty positions of Professor/ Associate Professor/ Assistant Professor in Chinese Arts, to enrich its teaching, research, and practice in the context of traditional and contemporary Chinese art practices, aesthetical and historical studies. The candidate(s) is/are expected to possess expertise knowledge in one of the following areas:
- Ink Art in the Contemporary Context;
- Material Culture and Chinese Art; and
- Contemporary Art in Hong Kong and China.
- Operate independently at professional level within a fully equipped Chinese Arts studio;
- Deliver undergraduate and postgraduate theoretical and/or practical courses related to Chinese Arts etc.;
- Supervise individual student projects at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Work alongside other staff in the Academy and take an active part in developing student projects, and in coordinating associated programmes (workshops, guest lectures, conferences, exhibitions, screenings, etc.);
- Conduct innovative research projects and publish work actively in formats/venues as appropriate for their outputs; and
- Carry out administrative duties of the Academy as required.
- Hold at least a PhD, a MPhil or a MFA degree or equivalent degree in a relevant discipline;
- Be well versed in a broad range of practical techniques relevant to the area(s);
- Demonstrate keen interest and strong commitment to teaching, practice and research; and
- Have a solid academic, professional and research track record. Records of successful grant applications or project funding bids will be considered as an advantage.
Successful candidates will have access to facilities, studios and workshops as well as the broader and expanding research platform at the Academy and the University. The initial appointment will be offered on a fixed-term contract of three years commencing September 2024. Re-appointments thereafter will be subject to performance and mutual agreement.
Outstanding candidates at Associate Professor or Professor rank may be considered for tenure on appointment. Distinguished candidates with strong academic credentials and outstanding academic leadership capabilities will be considered at the rank of Professor.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are invited to submit their applications at the HKBU e-Recruitment System (https://jobs.hkbu.edu.hk) with the full resume, academic credentials, the best three out of their most recent publications/works, an artist statement of teaching philosophy, student evaluations of teaching for last three years. They should also request two referees to send in confidential letters of reference, with the PR number (stated above) quoted on the letters, directly to the Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Those who are not invited for interview 4 months after submission of the application may consider their applications unsuccessful. All application materials including publication samples, and scholarly/creative works will be disposed of after completion of the recruitment exercise unless upon request. Details of the Personal Information Collection Statement can be found at https://hro.hkbu.edu.hk/en/worklife-at-hkbu/employee-favourable-environment.html#privacy-policy.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment for the posts advertised, and the appointment will be made according to the terms and conditions applicable at the time of offer.
Initial assessment will be conducted by 31 December 2023, and the positions are open until they are filled.