Job no: 0030486
Role type: Full-time; Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Learning and Teaching Unit
Salary: UOM 9 – $134,320-$139,749 p.a. plus 17% super
- Lead and support the Graduate Research team within a time-sensitive and demanding environment.
- Review and improve the efficiency of existing processes and procedures.
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
The Manager, Graduate Research oversees the delivery of high-quality service to prospective and current Graduate Research students across all disciplines within Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. The Manager is responsible for operational delivery of graduate research administration across the student lifecycle for over 1,700 graduate research students on behalf of MDHS Schools/Departments and Medical Research Institutes as it relates to admissions, allocation of scholarships and candidature management.
The role is responsible for leading, motivating and supporting the GR team within a time-sensitive and demanding environment, including career development for direct reports and problem resolution.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Motivate, support, and manage staff to achieve their agreed KPIs/goals. Provide clear performance expectations, regular feedback, and document outcomes, ensuring poor performance is addressed and high performance nurtured and rewarded. Link individual goals and team targets to Faculty and University objectives and embed a high-quality values-based client service culture.
- The Manager Graduate Research works with senior stakeholders to support the realisation of core strategic objectives in graduate research and to implement improvements to service delivery.
- Develop and maintain professional communication networks and effective working relationships with colleagues within the Faculty and across the University, working closely with the Associate Dean (Graduate Research), Academic Coordinator (Graduate Research) and the MDHS Graduate Research Administrator GRA network to ensure effective communication and shared work processes with School, Institute and hospital GR administration, academic staff as well as Students and Scholarly Services.
- Increasing efficiency of existing processes and procedures to enhance and build internal capacity.
Who We Are Looking For
You will contribute with your excellent relationship management skills, showcasing a proven track record of actively developing productive relationships with stakeholders both within and outside the organization. Additionally, your high-level analytical and problem-solving skills, coupled with the ability to exercise judgment and initiative, will greatly enhance our team.
You will also have:
- A relevant postgraduate tertiary qualification and extensive expertise in management or an equivalent combination of relevant extensive experience and/or education and training.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and drive a high performing operational team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic plans in conjunction with a range of key stakeholders.
- Proven management and leadership skills with the ability to motivate and lead staff to work with a student-centred and industry-responsive orientation, including during periods of program evolution and change.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences has an enviable research record and is the University of Melbourne’s largest faculty in terms of management of financial resources, employment of academic and professional staff, teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate (including research higher degree) students and the conduct of basic and applied research. The Faculty’s annual revenue is $628m with approximately 55% of this income related to research activities.
The Faculty has a student teaching load in excess of 8,500 equivalent full-time students including more than 1,700 research higher degree students. The Faculty has approximately 2,195 staff comprising 642 professional staff and 1,553 research and teaching staff.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Katie Robertson via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 8 January 2024 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)
Position Description: 0030486_Manager Graduate Research_PD.pdf