The Hugh Ramsay Chair in Australian Art History is the leading academic position of its type in Australia. The role was created by a visionary endowment from Faculty of Arts alumna Patricia Fullerton, the grand-niece of the famous Australian artist Hugh Ramsay (1877-1906); now memorialized in this important endowed chair. The position is based in the Art History Program in the School of Culture and Communication at the University of Melbourne.
The University is seeking to appoint a leading scholar in the area of Australian art history, with expertise and significant publications in the field of Australian art history, including Australian Indigenous art, or Australian art curatorship. The Hugh Ramsay Chair is expected to have the capacity to foster innovative, collaborative, or interdisciplinary research that addresses current challenges in Australian art history. The appointee will also play a leadership role in linking the program to the wider arts community, including key galleries and museums, and fostering public engagement.
You will be a leading scholar in art history and currently in art history or senior curatorial role with a background in Australian art. In addition, you will possess:
- A PhD in a recognised field of Art History or Art Curatorship
- A distinguished record of publication in the field of Australian Art History or Art Curatorship
- A vision for building, leading and growing an innovative program of research, and a track record of successful leadership in research capacity building
- Demonstrated ability for excellence in teaching and supervision
- A demonstrated capacity to foster public interest in Australian art history or art curatorship, and wider community engagement in discussion and support for Australian art and exhibition history.
Candidates who are not currently based in another higher education institution but have a background in Australian art history, including Australian Indigenous art, or Australian art curatorship are encouraged to apply.
Please direct any enquiries and send your application directly to: Dr Rohan Carr or Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group at email@example.com or contact by phone on +613 9654 3288.
Closing date: February 5, 2024.