- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to:
- the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication,
- the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others,
- the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda,
- the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- Ideally the candidate has experience with startups since we are in the process of commercializing some of our fundings.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to contribute to the achievement of the 4 main objectives of the projects i.e.:
Objective 1. Optical characterization of a complete catalogue of post-consumer plastic subtypes Near-IR, UV and Raman represent the complete post-consumer plastic footprint. These signals will be primarily classified by material compositions and color. Objective 2. Optical characterization of a complete catalogue of surface contamination on post-consumer plastics A multispectral optical characterization (Near-IR, UV and Raman) catalogue based on varying levels of surface contamination will be created by characterizing 80,000 pieces of post-consumer plastic items collected from a real community. Objective 3. Adapting the multispectral characterization data as input into a CNN based machine learning algorithm Classified multispectral optical signals will be processed by the CNN based algorithm to retrieve differentiating references with a near-100% accuracy across the complete catalogue Objective 4. Integrate the resulting Machine Learning Module in a smart collection point for testing and commercial validation Assist in the integration of the optical characterization and AI based approach into a container based solution and characterize performance and viability assessments. The imbedded product will also go through necessary test phases to progressive increase its technology readiness level.
The successful candidate is expected to direct the investigation in the area AI and optical characterization. Development & implementation of outdoor testing protocols for novel container based solution. Dissemination of results writing papers and attending conferences. Management of international collaborations.
- PhD from a reputable university in Material Science or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with expertise in Mechanical, Electrical and Optical Characterization.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers in high impact factor journals;
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Experience with business plan writing and project proposal writing
- Experience with start-ups
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time