KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant to work on an exciting research project focused on the development of novel and nutritious superfoods for supplementary dietary solutions. This project aligns with KU's dedication to sustainable food research.
The project will specifically focus on innovative animal feed formulations by harnessing the nutritive potential of agricultural solid wastes and locally grown herbs tailored to meet the nutritional requirements of livestock. The role would involve experimental research of plant science and animal feed formulations, determining the nutritive value of these feeds, and exploring their efficacy as both primary feed and additives to existing animal feed.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Food Lab and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Collaborate with the project team to conduct research on plant identification and characterization, novel animal fodder formulation, and optimization of the production process for sustainable agriculture
- Develop in conjunction with the project team desk, field, and/or lab-based studies to explore issues and address challenges related to animal feeding trials to assess the effectiveness of the novel animal feeds and evaluate their impact on livestock health
- Willingness and ability to conduct fieldwork for material collection, sampling, characterization, and animal testing
- Basic knowledge on state-of-the-art plant testing and characterizations such as Microscopy studies, Chemical Composition Analysis, Nutrient Analysis, Functional Properties, Health monitoring, Microbiological Analysis, and more
- Familiarity with relevant food chemistry techniques, such as Chromatography, Thermal Analysis, Calorimetry, and Spectroscopy
- Operational knowledge of lab methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- Work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team, including researchers and project coordinators
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Bachelors/Masters from a reputable university in Agriculture, Plant Biology, Veterinary Science, or related discipline
- Experience in undertaking assigned research tasks and contributing to academic outputs
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Bachelors/Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in the top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Assistant
Job Type: Full-time