KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant to work on an exciting research project focused on the development of hot beverage substitutes from underutilized plant sources. This project aligns with KU's dedication to sustainable food research.
The project will specifically focus on advancing the utilization of underexplored plant sources to develop an environmentally friendly and nutritious hot beverage alternative. The project will explore various aspects of beverage production, from processing techniques to quality control and nutritional analysis, with necessary scale-up studies.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Food Lab and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Collaborate with the project team to conduct research studies focused on creating novel and nutritious hot beverage alternatives for sustainable food production
- Develop in conjunction with the project team desk, field, and/or lab-based studies to explore issues and address challenges related to hot beverage production from underutilized plants
- Provide input on novel hot beverage formulations and configurations, including processing techniques and nutritional analysis
- Basic knowledge on state-of-the-art food testing and characterization equipment, including Microscopy studies, Chemical Composition Analysis, Microbiological Analysis, Functional Properties, Taste Profiling, Stability Studies, Rheological Testing, and more
- Familiarity with relevant food chemistry techniques, such as moisture analysis, calorimetry, and spectroscopy
- Operational knowledge of lab methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- Work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team, including researchers and project coordinators
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Bachelors/Masters from a reputable university in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Engineering, or related discipline
- Experience in undertaking assigned research tasks and contributing to academic outputs
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Bachelors/Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in the top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Assistant
Job Type: Full-time