KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant to work on an exciting research project centered around the non-conventional and eco-friendly extraction of essential oils from underutilized local plant sources. This project aligns with KU's dedication to sustainable food research.
The project aims to harness the potential of underutilized plant sources and explore the industrial applications of their extracts. This role will involve extensive research in investigating innovative advanced extraction methods, specifically on supercritical extraction, focusing on sustainability and environmental friendliness. Further, it also includes the nutraceutical and phytochemical analysis of the oil and assessing its suitability for cosmetic and pharmaceutical applications.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Food Lab and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Collaborate with the project team to conduct research studies on the development, optimization, and implementation of non-conventional techniques (specifically supercritical extraction) for essential oil extractions, ensuring the highest yield and quality standards
- Develop in conjunction with the project team desk, field, and/or lab-based studies for comprehensive nutraceutical and phytochemical analysis of extracted essential oils to identify and quantify the bioactive compounds for cosmetics and pharmaceutical product development
- Basic knowledge on state-of-the-art oil testing and characterization techniques such as GC-MS, HPLC, FTIR Spectroscopy, Antioxidant Activity Assays, Rheological Analysis, and Stability and Shelf-Life assessments for in-depth oil analysis
- Familiarity with relevant Clinical Testing, such as Safety and Toxicity Assessment, Skin Permeation Studies, Quality Control and Assurance, and Product development
- Operational knowledge of lab methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- Work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team, including researchers and project coordinators
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Bachelors/Masters from a reputable university in Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Biochemistry, or related discipline
- Experience in undertaking assigned research tasks and contributing to academic outputs
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to function as part of a team working on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Well-developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Bachelors/Masters gained from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry
- Experience contributing to high impact publications in the top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Assistant
Job Type: Full-time