KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on an exciting research project focused on the formulation, characterization, assessment, and animal testing of novel nutrient-dense animal fodder derived from underutilized plant sources. This project aligns with KU's dedication to sustainable agriculture and food research.
The project will specifically focus on innovative animal feed formulations by harnessing the nutritive potential of agricultural solid wastes and locally grown herbs tailored to meet the nutritional requirements of livestock. The role would involve experimental research of plant identification and characterization, phytochemical analysis, and exploring the efficacy of these plants as both primary feed and additives to new/existing animal feed.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Food Lab and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Expertise in herb identification, classification, and comprehensive characterization with proficiency in nutrient assessment and evaluation of forage quality
- Conduct field works and research on these herbs and plant sources for animal fodder formulation and optimization of the production process for sustainable agriculture
- Design, implement, and analyze animal feeding trials to assess the effectiveness of the novel animal feeds and evaluate their impact on livestock health
- Work with state-of-the-art food testing and characterization equipment, including Microscopy studies, Chemical Composition Analysis, Nutrient Analysis, Functional Properties, Health monitoring, Microbiological Analysis, and more
- Familiarity with relevant food chemistry techniques, such as moisture analysis, calorimetry, and spectroscopy
- Study the feasibility of upscaling lab-scale processes for potential pilot-sized applications in the food industry
- Develop and implement lab-based studies to address challenges and optimize the fodder development process from underutilized plant sources
- Collaborate on grant proposals, patent applications, and conference presentations
- Provide training to new lab personnel on food processing methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- Draft project-specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and conduct risk assessments for lab equipment and chemicals
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time