KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on an exciting research project centered around the non-conventional and eco-friendly extraction of essential oils from underutilized local plant sources. This project aligns with KU's dedication to sustainable food research.
The project aims to harness the potential of underutilized plant sources and explore the industrial applications of their extracts. This role will involve extensive research in investigating innovative advanced extraction methods, specifically on supercritical extraction, focusing on sustainability and environmental friendliness. Further, it also includes the nutraceutical and phytochemical analysis of the oil and assessing its suitability for cosmetic and pharmaceutical applications.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Food Lab and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Conduct research on the development, optimization, and implementation of non-conventional techniques (specifically supercritical extraction) for essential oil extractions, ensuring the highest yield and quality standards
- Perform comprehensive nutraceutical and phytochemical analysis of extracted essential oils to identify and quantify the bioactive compounds for cosmetics and pharmaceutical product development
- Utilize advanced characterization techniques such as GC-MS, HPLC, FTIR Spectroscopy, Antioxidant Activity Assays, Rheological Analysis, and Stability and Shelf-Life Testing for in-depth oil analysis
- Familiarity with relevant Clinical Testing, such as Safety and Toxicity Assessment, Skin Permeation Studies, Quality Control and Assurance, and Product development
- Study the feasibility of upscaling lab-scale processes for potential pilot-sized applications in the food industry
- Develop and implement lab-based studies to address challenges and optimize essential oil production from underutilized plant sources
- Collaborate on grant proposals, patent applications, and conference presentations
- Provide training to new lab personnel on food processing methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- Draft project-specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and conduct risk assessments for lab equipment and chemicals
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- PhD from a reputable university in Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Biochemistry, or a related field
- Proficiency in laboratory techniques and equipment relevant to non-conventional extraction (supercritical extraction) and essential oil characterizations
- Experience in writing scientific and/or review papers
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry
- High impact first-author publications in the top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time