46 Faculty of Philosophy and Education
Startdate: 15.12.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 14.12.2027
Reference no.: 1695
At the University of Vienna, more than 10,000 people work together towards answering the big questions of the future. Around 7,500 of them are scientists who, with their curiosity and continuous demand for excellence, conduct top-level international research and teaching. Are you also looking for the right space to develop your potential? We are seeking a/an
University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Philosophy
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence
As a University assistant prae doc, you will work in (joint) projects with Univ.-Prof. Georg Schiemer, Professor of Formal Philosophy. The main research areas associated with Univ.-Prof. Georg Schiemer are philosophy of mathematics, history and philosophy of logic, formal philosophy of science.
The successful candidate will participate in the department’s research, teaching (to the extent regulated by the collective bargaining agreement) and administration. In particular, the candidate is expected to conduct their doctoral project and contribute to other research projects, leading to international publications and presentations.
Main research field: Philosophy of mathematics or philosophy of logic or formal philosophy of science
Special research fields: Philosophy of mathematics or philosophy of logic or formal philosophy of science
Your future tasks:
Active participation in research, teaching and administration, including:
- Participation in collaborative research projects
- Internationally visible publications and presentations
- Participation in the organization of conferences/workshops/symposia/lecture series, including coordinating roles
- Writing a doctoral dissertation in one of the above-mentioned research areas
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement in the dissertation field of Philosophy within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- Academic services such as active involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
This is part of your personality:
- A Master in philosophy (completed at the time of application)
- Research focus in philosophy of mathematics or the history and philosophy of logic or formal philosophy of science.
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (C2 level)
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team and willingness to take responsibility for specific (sub)projects
The announcement is made for four years, whereby the employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of four years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
In addition, we expect the successful candidate to have
- International presentation experience
- Good German language skills or willingness to acquire German language skills
- Experience of working in teams and coordination
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing, as exemplified by an excellent Master thesis and (if applicable) other writings
- Potential for conducting independent research
- Ability to organize your own work
Desirable qualifications are:
- A publication in an academic journal or conference proceedings - Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Experience of supervising students
- Experience working on research projects
- Experience with teaching
- Experience with proposal writing
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
(all application documents should be submitted in English or German)
- Letter of motivation (German or English)
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available) - Short doctoral project proposal (2500 words max.)
- Degree certificates (Graduation certificates and diplomas)
- Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 12/11/2023