265 Research Network Data Science
Startdate: 01.01.2024 | Working hours: 40 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 31.12.2026
Reference no.: 1504
Among the many reasons to research and teach at the University of Vienna there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for continuous striving for top international research and scientific excellence. At the same time they enjoy support and liberties that are not a given at other institutions. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of play:
The research network Data Science @ Uni Vienna is looking for a highly motivated Postdoc/Scientific Coordinator. We are offering an excellent working environment in an interdisciplinary team. Data Science @ Uni Vienna is a research network that presents a hub on all activities in data science at the University of Vienna. It represents the vast field of data science in its full breadth, offering world class expertise in computer science, mathematics, statistics, as well as applications in economics, medicine, industry 4.0, social sciences, natural sciences, medicine, digital humanities, and legal tech.
Your future tasks:
The primary duty of this position is to foster collaboration between the research network and partners in the real world of data science. This could be through partnerships and projects with NGOs, governments or companies. The position will provide the opportunity to strategize about how to build these bridges between society and the exciting data science research happening at the University of Vienna.
The opportunity to collaborate with partners from diverse academic fields offers outstanding potential for your research and research administration. You will be part of fascinating data science projects offering the possibility to supervise students, publish the results at leading international outlets as well the creation of new structures for cooperation and to exchange ideas with international and interdisciplinary cooperation partners.
- Participation in the development of the research network Data Science @ Uni Vienna, especially for the new Masters programs Business Analytics, Data Science and Digital Humanities
- Participation in data science research
- International publishing and presentation activities
- Participation in the supervision of PhD students
- Project application and external fundraising
- Holding classes due to extent regulations of wage agreement
- Supervision of students; examination activities
- Participation in the administration of Data Science @ Uni Vienna (e.g. organization of workshops)
- Possible research foci include but are not limited to: machine learning, data mining, visual data analysis, mathematical foundations of data science, scalable methods for massive data or applications of data science, e.g. in physics, life sciences, economics, social sciences or the humanities
- Possibility to prepare and finalize a habilitation
This is part of your personality:
- Completed doctoral/PhD studies in computer science, mathematics or statistics or other areas with a strong focus on data science, business analytics, or digital humanities
- Strong publication record
- Excellent English language skills (C1)
- Strong ability to work in teams
- Perseverance and ability to get things done
- High motivation to publish at the top-level publication outlets of the corresponding field
- High motivation to raise third party funding
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary research
- Leadership abilities in supervising master and PhD students
- Organizational skills and commitment to management and administrative tasks
- Experience in external fundraising
- Experience in leading and coordinating projects
- Experience with interdisciplinary projects
- Experience in organizing workshops
- Teaching experience
- Knowledge in university structures and processes
- Didactic skills / experience in e-learning
- Team player and high social/communicative skills
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fixed-term contract and fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4,351.90 (14 times a year) for a period of 3 years / 36 months increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- With your scientific curriculum vitae / letter of intent
- With your list of publications
- With your summary of research interests (max. 1 p.)
- Doctoral Degree
- Contact details of persons who could provide reference letters (names of 3 referees)
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any content questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 01/07/2024