45 Faculty of Philological and Cultural
Studies Startdate: 27.12.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 26.12.2026
Reference no.: 1621
Among the many good reasons to want to research and teach at the University of Vienna, there is one in particular, which has convinced around 7,500 academic staff members so far. They see themselves as personalities who need space for their continuous striving and curiosity in order to be able to be scientifically successful. Does that sound like something for you? Welcome to our team!
Your personal sphere of influence:
The research group of Prof. Jutta L. Mueller at the Department of Linguistics of the Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies, is offering a three-year position for a university assistant (PhD position) at the University of Vienna. The position involves the development, implementation and evaluation of experiments in the field of language and cognitive processing. Specifically, an interest in overt and covert language production, its interaction with domain general cognition and the neurophysiological processes involved in language processing is expected. Active participation in research, but also in teaching and administration is part of the assignment as university assistant.
The Psycholinguistics group is concerned with cognitive and neurophysiological aspects of language acquisition and language processing across human development. In particular, it focuses on the interfaces between language and non-linguistic cognitive functions. The experimental methods used in the group include EEG, eye-tracking, fNIRS and behavioural methods.
The PhD candidate will be integrated in the Vienna Doctoral School for Cognition, Behavior and Neuroscience (VDS CoBeNe) at the University of Vienna (https://vds-cobene.univie.ac.at). The main goal of VDS CoBeNe is quality assurance in PhD training and education. In addition, the organization stands for promotion of inter- and transdisciplinary knowledge exchange.
Your future tasks:
Participation in research, teaching and administration in the area of Psycholinguistics:
- You will have a leading role in an research project aimed at the completion of your PhD thesis
- You will present your research in international conferences and peer-reviewed journals
- You are expected to sign adoctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- You will participate in teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- You will assist with supervision of students
- You will be involved in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposia
- You will be involved in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
This is part of your personality:
- Completed Master's degree or Diploma in linguistics, psychology, biology, or any other related field
- Theoretical and/or practical experience with behavioral (e.g. reaction time, eye-tracking) and/or neurophysiological methods (EEG, fNIRS, fMRI)
- Solid knowledge and some experience in statistical modeling
- High interest in working in an interdisciplinary research field
- Experience in academic writing and with research methods
- First experiences in presenting research ideas or results in public are welcome
- Motivation to teach / supervise more junior students
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (C1 Level)
- At least basic command of written and spoken German/ willingness to learn German
- Computer skills: MATLAB and/or R desirable
- You are motivated and self-propelled
- You are flexible and creative
- You should be a team player with high social skills
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible, family-friendly working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 3277,30 (on a full-time basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- Letter of motivation (German or English)
- Proposal for/Outline of PhD project (at least 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications and talks, proof of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates, academic records
- Suggestions for referees that can be contacted
- Via our job portal/ Apply now - button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 12/01/2023