- Full time, continuing position. Located at the Camperdown campus in the School of Life and Environmental Sciences
- Exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Lecturer in Food Science (Education Focused) to join the Faculty of Science
- Base salary of $113,184 - $134,403 p.a. (Level B) + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES) is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Food Science (Education Focused) to be based at the Camperdown Campus. This is a wonderful opportunity to join the University of Sydney - Australia's first university - at an exciting and innovative time to contribute to a new Sydney 2032 strategic plan, which will build upon our outstanding global reputation of education and research excellence.
SOLES has a program of undergraduate teaching in food and nutrition science from first year to Honours level. The successful applicant will be expected to assist in curriculum development in the Food Science major and teach in a range of subjects specific to food science, including those in Food Quality, Safety, Processing and Value Adding.
SOLES brings together academics from across a broad range of disciplines to understand and solve important global challenges. Other key majors related to food in SOLES include Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Nutrition Science, and Food Science. This exciting new education-focused role will work closely with the Food and Nutrition Science teaching team in contributing to the development and delivery of our food science units. The appointee will deliver content in second- and third-year food science and develop strategies that foster active engagement of students to ensure excellence in teaching and learning outcomes.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated track record in educational excellence in the development and delivery of Food and nutrition related units that enriches the existing strengths and expertise within the school. The successful applicant will also have a track record in the implementation of scholarly and evidence-based teaching innovations to create a safe and dynamic learning environment for students. Their track record will include evidence of success in creating a quality student experience and embedding of digital and other technological innovations in Food Science teaching and learning and working effectively in an academic team. We are intent on implementing scholarly approaches to create a world-class curriculum for incoming students transitioning from school to university to enable them to thrive in their studies.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer in Food Science (Education Focused) who has:
- a PhD in Food or Nutrition Science or equivalent related field
- a demonstrated track record in teaching food and nutrition science with preferable experience in food safety and microbiology at undergraduate level, in lectures, laboratory-based practical classes and Work Integrated Learning
- excellent time management and strong written and oral communication skills
- a demonstrated track record of educational excellence, including recognition for achieving consistently excellent student outcomes and educational innovation
- the ability to positively impact student learning as evidenced through fellowships, awards and prizes
- a commitment to undertaking and communicating research activities
- the ability to work effectively within a collaborative team to deliver educational experiences
- a developing network of relationships with key industry and professional institutions
- experience of relevant Work, Health and Safety requirements and management
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- experience working with others and coordinating team activities within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings
- a proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly activities in the domains of both education and research, to inform innovative pedagogical practice
- demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate an audience using a range of media.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Nicole Turle, Recruitment Operations, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 10 December 2023 11:59 PM