Senior Tutor in Geography
Job no:0060562, 0060563
Role type: Part-time (0.6 FTE); Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Science
School: School of Geography, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Salary: Level A $80,258 - $108,906 p.a. pro rata plus 17% super
- Multiple positions available!
- Assist subject coordinators to deliver tutorials for subjects within the Geography discipline
- Use your leadership skills and teaching excellence to make a tangible difference to tertiary education
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
The Senior Tutor in Geography is responsible for coordinating and delivering tutorials for selected subjects, supporting subject coordinators in administration and assessment, supervising tutors, and acting as a liaison between tutors and coordinators. Additionally, the role involves contributing to outreach and engagement activities and actively contributing to teaching innovation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating and delivering tutorials for selected Geography subjects, overseeing tutors and ensuring effective subject content delivery.
- Supporting subject coordinators in administrative tasks related to Geography subjects, including supervision and timetabling, online subject operations, and assessment management.
- Leading weekly sessions for tutor preparation, act as a conduit between tutors and coordinators, and contribute to teaching innovation within the School.
- Engaging in outreach and educational activities to generate interest in science, particularly geography, and actively contributing to School meetings and activities promoting diversity and inclusion.
Who We Are Looking For
You bring a commitment to teaching and possess excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain material clearly and instructively. You will also demonstrate adaptability to new demands, strong organisational abilities, and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respectful behaviour in the workplace.
You will also have:
- Higher degree (e.g., Masters or PhD) in geography or a related discipline.
- A track record of contributions in tutoring, including exploring, innovating, and implementing different teaching methods.
- Demonstrated initiative in both independent and team-based decision-making with the capacity to lead a diverse team of educators in a tertiary environment.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – School of Geography, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
The School of Geography, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences was formally established in 2021, following the merger of the Schools of Geography and Earth Sciences. The new School synergises discipline strengths in Geography, Atmospheric Science and Geoscience. The School offers undergraduate and graduate research programs in these core discipline areas, and in the multi-disciplinary fields of Climate Change, Environmental Science and Archaeological Science. The research within the School is built upon extensive expertise in geography, geoscience and atmospheric science, ranging from the social sciences through to the quantitative physical sciences.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Ana via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 4 DECEMBER 2023 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)
Position Description: 0060562_Senior Tutor_PD.pdf