Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics
Job no: 0051499
Role type: Full Time; Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Department/School: School of Mathematics and Statistics
Salary: UOM Level B - $114,645 - $136,136; Level C - $140,433 - $161,925 p.a. plus 17% super
- Undertake high-level research in pure mathematics
- Prepare and deliver lectures at both undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Supervise research students at undergraduate, MSc and PhD levels
About the Role
You will undertake high-level research in pure mathematics, broadly defined. You will also have a strong commitment to teaching and the supervision of research students and be expected to teach mathematics or statistics and its applications to a variety of audiences.
Your responsibilities will include:
- The conduct of research and contribution to knowledge through scholarship, refereed publications and presentations.
- Active supervision of postgraduate, both MSc and PhD, students.
- Effective preparation and delivery of lectures at undergraduate and postgraduate level and assessment of that material, including as Subject Coordinator.
- Proactive development of subject materials and delivery, including the use of modern technology and online resources as appropriate.
- Presentation of research to the public to elevate public awareness of educational and scientific developments and promote critical enquiry and public debate within the community.
Who We Are Looking For
You will have demonstrated excellence in research and possess strong skills in establishing research collaborations with other institutions, both nationally and internationally, while also demonstrating the capacity to secure research funding through competitive grant schemes. You will be adept at teaching both large undergraduate classes and advanced graduate-level mathematics subjects, collaborating effectively with colleagues and contributing to administrative tasks.
You will also have:
- A PhD or equivalent research higher degree in pure mathematics.
- Demonstrated research excellence in relation to career stage including a strong record of publication.
- The ability to interact well with other academic staff and to contribute to the administration of a large school.
- Clear potential in graduate student supervision.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
Your New Team – “School of Mathematics and Statistics “
The University of Melbourne's School of Mathematics and Statistics is one of Australia's leading mathematics and statistics schools. It has achieved this status through the high quality of its research and teaching programs. The School offers a wide range of subjects to undergraduate and postgraduate students and is involved in aspects of community life that impact on the interests of the School and the discipline.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics has a total of 90 continuing teaching and/or research staff; 37 research only staff and consultants; 19 academic specialists and 16 support staff. In 2023, there were 143 Research Higher Degree and 189 Coursework Master of Science students. The School has had 10 staff members inducted as Fellows of the Academy of Science.
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
To apply for this role, please submit your application via MathJobs – https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/23754
Applications not submitted via MathJobs will not be considered.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, or require any reasonable adjustments, please feel free to contact Ana Gencic via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Position Description: 0051499_Lecturer-Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics_PD.pdf
Applications close: 18 DECEMBER 2023 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)