About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on a funded project that focuses on the recovery of technologically critical elements, and metal pollutants, from electronic waste. The project aims at using designer solvents for devising environmentally friendly, highly selective, and practical extraction and recovery protocols.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Center for Catalysis and Separation (https://www.ku.ac.ae/cecas), KU Center for Membranes and Advanced Water Technology (https://www.ku.ac.ae/cmat), and KU Research Laboratories Facilities (https://www.ku.ac.ae/research). The postdoctoral fellow will also get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Conduct both fundamental & applied research on the development of deep-eutectic solvents for the quantitative and selective extraction of transition and rare earth metals from solid waste.
- Fundamental knowledge and wet lab experience in acid-base/redox/coordination chemistry, including thermodynamics and kinetics of chemical equilibria in solutions.
- Familiarity and/or working knowledge with electrochemical techniques (e.g., cyclic voltammetry, Karl Fisher titration) is a plus.
- Working knowledge of two or more of the following techniques: scanning electron microscopy-energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (SEM-EDX), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), thermogravimetric analysis/differential scanning calorimetry (TGA/DSC), elemental analysis (such as inductively coupled- plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) or optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES)), Fourier-Transform Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).
- Ability to operate two or more equipment associated with the above-mentioned techniques and willingness to learn/operate new characterization tools that are necessary for the successful delivery of critical aspects of the research project.
- Assist with the training, co-supervision and mentoring of UG/PG students assigned to the project.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams and Research Laboratories department.
- Adhere to/ spread a culture of scientific integrity in all aspects to support the research ecosystem.
- Adhere to the laboratory environmental health and safety protocols and support the drafting of project-specific standard operating procedures and laboratory risk assessments.
- Collect, analyze, interpret data, and prepare technical progress reports for the project.
- Contribute to writing grants/manuscripts/patent applications, and present at conferences.
- Support procurement activities for the project.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- PhD from a reputable university in either Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related discipline
- Experience with writing scientific or review papers
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time