We are looking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS).
We are looking to appoint an experienced and enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to join our team. The successful candidate will both work on AI Ethics in Healthcare generally and will contribute to the project “Developing a Trust Framework for Artificial Intelligence in Emergency Healthcare”, working under the project Principal Investigator (PI), Professor Julian Savulescu. This project aims to develop empirically-informed and philosophically-robust ethics and governance frameworks for the adoption of AI, including to support life-sustaining decisions in emergency healthcare. The successful candidate will contribute towards literature reviews of ethical, legal and social issues in the application of AI to health care, focussing on life-saving decisions in healthcare, provide inputs into the design and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative studies conducted under the grant, lead synthesis of the empirical findings and ethics literature review, and draft publications that develop recommendations for practice and policy in this area.
- Conduct literature reviews, including collation and synthesis of the literature
- Work with the PI to identify and analyse appropriate topics for analysis
- Support the design and interpretation of quantitative surveys and qualitative interviews and focus groups
- Synthesize empirical and normative findings to develop publications containing recommendations for practice and policy
- Contribute to and lead (where appropriate) conceptual research, manuscript development, writing, editing and publication submission.
- Present work for feedback and dissemination at workshops or conferences locally and/or internationally
The position is a 1-year full-time appointment at the academic rank of Research Fellow. An option to renew the appointment for another 2 years will depend on performance and continued funding for the projects. There is the possibility to move to tenure track depending on performance. Start date is flexible, with the position expected to commence in the first half of 2024. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
- Essential criteria
- A PhD in a discipline relevant to bioethics (e.g. philosophy, law, sociology, or political science) from a reputable university.
- Proven track record of publication in the field of bioethics or a related discipline
- Exemplary written English and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and management skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaborative as well as independent work
- Desirable criteria
- Experience in integrating empirical research findings with ethical analyses
- Demonstrated knowledge of ethical issues related to AI and new technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical ethics, particularly in the context of emergency healthcare
The Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE) was established in September 2006 in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine through a generous gift by the Chen Su Lan Trust. CBmE, directed by Prof Julian Savulescu, is a thriving centre for learning, teaching and research relating to ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and biomedical sciences. We are responsible for the development and delivery of the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism programme through all five years of the undergraduate medical curriculum in addition to the postgraduate and continuing professional education courses in bioethics. You can find out more about CBmE here: https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/cbme/. The goal of the new Director is to make CBmE a world leading Centre of medical ethics with a vibrant culture and strong international, particularly Asian, presence.
NUS offers highly competitive remuneration packages. The successful applicant will be offered an annual salary plus benefits commensurate with his or her experience and expertise and will have access to travel support to disseminate research outcomes at international academic conferences. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found. Please submit your application containing the following:
- A cover letter with statements that address each of the selection criteria above
- Curriculum vitae with contact details of three referees
- A writing sample (sole authored peer-reviewed publication strongly preferred)
- Current and expected salary
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Dean-Med-Centre for Biomedical Ethics
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 22762