About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on research works in the area of biosignal and modelling to be able to use advances in noninvasive wearable technology and explainable AI to devise new algorithms to predict cardiovascular instability or detect infection in Kidney Patients so that the dialysis treatment can be modified automatically in real time to treat such problems before they become critical. The partner SEHA Kidney Care will facilitate the clinical implementation of the proposed new technology.
- Finalize the Ethics applications for approval from Khalifa University and SEHA Kidney Care Ethics Committee and Mafraq Hospital.
- Develop Impedance Cardiography (ICG) database on the web.
- Liaise with Clinicians at SEHA Kidney Center in Abu Dhabi for experimental set up and data quality check.
- Expert scoring of pathological events.
- Develop signal processing algorithms to analyse ICG signals and their features in relation to abnormalities.
- Develop machine learning algorithms in utilizing features extracted from ICG and wearable devices for reliable real-time detection of abnormal events.
- Validate machine learning/deep learning models with blind test data and evaluate model performance.
- Develop a rule based decision-tree model to recognize event types and necessity of intervention.
- Post detection validation of the output of new models while under therapy to create a complete NOMAD management tool.
- Participates in scientific research as a professionally responsible member of the research team, participates in problem exploration, and definition, planning of the approach and sequence of steps, execution of experiments or studies, interpretation of findings, documentation and reporting of results and progress, maintenance of research records and compliance to all established policies and procedures;
- Regularly meets with the Advisor to apprise the Advisor of the research results, for the development and troubleshooting of techniques, to provide direction and focus to the research, to air concerns and conflicts, and to express mutual expectations;
- Publishes research results in high impact journals appropriate to the field in a timely manner, may present findings at meetings;
- Participates in writing grant applications and proposals that pertain to the research;
- Contributes to the overall activities of the research team as required;
- Mentors graduate students and/or undergraduates under the supervision of the Advisor;
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda,
- Performs other similar or related duties as and when assigned by the Advisor.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- PhD from a reputable university in Biomedical Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers;
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time