The Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE) was established in September 2006 in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine through a generous gift by the Chen Su Lan Trust. We work to develop understanding, capacity for good judgement, and sound ethical practice in the context of healthcare provision, biomedical science and health-related policy development.
CBmE, directed by Prof Julian Savulescu, is a thriving centre for learning, teaching and research relating to ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and biomedical sciences. We are responsible for the development and delivery of the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism programme through all five years of the undergraduate medical curriculum in addition to the postgraduate and continuing professional education courses in bioethics. You can find out more about CBmE here: https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/cbme/. The goal of the new Director is to make CBmE a world leading Centre of medical ethics with a vibrant culture and strong international, particularly Asian, presence.
The candidate will be working on the CBmE CENTRES (Clinical Ethics Network + Research Ethics Support) project. Funded by the Ministry of Health, CENTRES is a networking and training platform to enhance capabilities of healthcare professionals and clinical ethics committees in Singapore. The position is for one year, with the possibility of annual renewal if performance is satisfactory.
The job holder is expected to:
- Build expertise on and keep abreast of current research in clinical ethics consistent with the work of CENTRES.
- Work with the co-directors and other colleagues to support the design, development and implementation of blended and online modules, and other learning activities, on clinical ethics. This will include:
- Conducting research (multiple modes online and offline) and writing literature reviews, legal summaries, and similar reports) to support the development of continuing professional education and graduate level courses.
- Developing surveys, administering the surveys, analysing the results to assess the learning needs of participants, and drafting recommendations accordingly.
- Web-based learning integration
- Playing a key role in preparing educational packages containing online modules and case-based materials for external institutions in-house staff training purposes
- Soliciting internal and external peer review of curricula and learning materials developed and collating the same
- Refining learning materials based on peer reviews, research, other feedback, and observations.
- Reviewing and writing about the effectiveness and impact of learning activities, e.g., conduct course evaluation.
- Serve as an observer on a clinical ethics committee, using experiences to inform the design of learning activities.
- Grow the CENTRES network through outreach to members of the clinical ethics committees, professional bodies, and affiliated institutions.
- Prepare the content of monthly news reports and analysis updating CENTRES members on current clinical ethics issues.
- Communicate with a wide range of stakeholders, internal and external, regarding our learning activities and materials.
- Participate collegially in the broader activities of the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (e.g., CBmE guest lecture series).
- Perform other related duties incidental to this job description.
You will have:
- A PhD in a field relevant to the above activities, preferably in law and/or bioethics. We may also consider applications from candidates with a background in philosophy, nursing, theology, anthropology and sociology; or a professional degree in medicine or law with formal training or extensive practical experience in bioethics.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to work collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- The ability to work independently to manage academic and associated activities, including the ability to work towards deadlines.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department: Dean's Office (Medicine)
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 21617