King’s Professional & Executive Development (KPED) is a specialist business development unit enabling King’s Faculties to deliver Professional Education to a wide international and domestic audience. We partner with all faculties to design, develop and deliver open and bespoke educational programmes in line with King’s Education Strategy. In face-to-face, blended or online modalities, our programmes include Continuing Professional Development, Executive Education and increasingly, stackable micro-credentials. We are a small, high-powered team with ambitious growth targets in an exciting area of development for King’s College London.
KPED is seeking to recruit a Business Development Manager with experience and a background in business development, financial negotiations, contract review, budgeting, people and project management.
The successful candidate will have the ability to understand the purpose and context of existing contracts as well as foster innovation and build networks to support business growth. KPED’s project portfolio is growing rapidly and expanding to include opportunities afforded through online and blended modalities. As a senior member of the team, the post holder will be responsible for creating effective mechanisms to support and enable such activities to 1) run efficiently 2) run at a profit and 3) build on King’s international brand.
The role is primarily based at King’s Strand Campus; however, the post holder may be required to travel to other locations on occasion, be prepared to attend events in the evening/at weekends and may be required to undertake national and international travel. As part of King’s trial of hybrid working, all team members can work remotely for part of the week if they wish to do so.
This post is fixed-term Maternity Cover for 15 months.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
- Provide a central point of contact for commercial education opportunities (open, custom, face to face, online, blended) for King’s faculties
- Creation and delivery of a portfolio of contracts, utilising King’s expertise to the professional and executive education market in line with the Education Strategy
- Maintain a systemic approach to pipeline management and development for Professional Education.
- Work with the Head of Business Development and colleagues to ensure business plans align with faculty plans and target sectors in order to develop the King’s Professional Education programme portfolio.
- Actively scope new opportunities for CPD, Executive Education and Education Consultancy Projects through, for example, sales pitches, responding to RFPs, PQQs and ITTs, and creating or nurturing partnerships with other HEIs, professional bodies and commercial companies/public sector organisations.
- Broker new partnerships including in-country overseas opportunities.
- Evaluate new programme proposals from academics and practitioners; undertaking research and proposing new course/programme proposals to prospective clients.
- Facilitate academic and client exchange to develop bespoke innovative programmes.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Accountability for progress against the business case and annual operating plans/targets for KPED
- Work with KPED senior team to implement the Hub and Spoke model of business development across Arts & Sciences faculties.
- Provide leadership for project teams in a manner consistent with King’s Guiding Principles: Our Culture
INTERNAL LIAISON AND COMMUNICATION
- Nurture internal relationships, developing and maintaining relationships with academic and professional service influencers and stakeholders across the university
- Adopt and develop a continuous improvement approach to Business Development and Professional Education
- Share best practice and collaborate with other team members and the wider College
- Build a network of internal Subject Matter Experts across the College to advise Spokes on programme development and execution
- Actively contribute to operational working groups and School level meetings, gathering information, presenting findings and feeding back to the KPED team as and when appropriate
EXTERNAL LIAISON AND COMMUNICATION
- Develop and manage relationships and connectivity to corporate decision makers, enabling the University to understand market trends and the current and future needs of potential business partners.
- Work with the Head of Business Development and Head of Portfolio Development to contribute and identify key marketing and communication messaging across hard and digital media
- Identify and commission market insight/market intelligence for portfolio and custom development
- Develop a public presence in the industry and network through a variety of B2B business development and networking activities, serving as a conduit for intelligence and learning in both directions.
PEOPLE AND CULTURE
- Contribute to and promote a culture of continuous development
- Be a collegiate and respectful member of the team, always showing due care to colleagues and direct reports
- Adopt a service culture to assess, advise and facilitate opportunities for third stream education
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
2. Knowledge and understanding of the Professional Education marketplace and current trends
3. Proven experience of business development and generating new leads, ideally in a professional or Executive Education environment
4. Strong commercial awareness and financial planning skills
5. Knowledge of contracts, intellectual property and other commercial considerations
6. Proven influencing and negotiation skills across a diverse range of stakeholders and situations
7. Excellent IT and presentation skills across the MS Office Suite
8. Self-starting, entrepreneurial, inquisitive and resilient
9. Thorough with high levels of attention to detail
10. Experience of managing either individuals, process, projects and working in high performing teams
1. Postgraduate or professional qualification
2. Use of project management software/tools/CRM
3. Knowledge, interest and understanding of Higher Education
4. Project management qualification
For more information about KPED, go to King’s Professional & Executive Development.