Department: National Centre for Biomolecular Research – Faculty of Science
Deadline: 7 Dec 2023
Start date: negotiable
Job type: part-time
Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Academic Researcher II in Functional Genomics and Proteomics
Workplace: National Centre for Biomolecular Research, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract (with possible extension), academic
Working Hours: 0,2 FTE (part-time employment of 8 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 07.12.2023
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6500 staff and 33 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
National Centre for Biomolecular Research at the Faculty of Science MU is focused on the study of bio(macro)molecules at the atomic level using experimental and computational methods. Equipment for nuclear magnetic resonance, crystallography, study of biomolecular interactions, genomics and proteomics is available. The department has access to powerful computational capacities used for computational chemistry, bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. The department also provides teaching and training of bachelor's, master's and doctoral students in study programs focused on bioinformatics, biomolecular chemistry, genomics and proteomics, and life sciences.
- Teaching of biochemical and biological subjects in the field of functional genomics and proteomics
- Creation of teaching materials in Czech and English
- Participation in the development of study programs, promotion, and popularization of science
- Research activities in the field of telomere biology, epigenetics and epitranscriptomics
- Active participation in scientific conferences and professional meetings and presentation of research results
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD in Genomics and Proteomics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related fields of study
- At least 3 years of postdoctoral research experience in genomics, preferably plant genomics and non-coding RNAs, with involvement in international collaborations
- Broader expertise and practical experience in molecular biology, genomics, and the use of bioinformatics tools
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of library preparation for NGS and ONT sequencing, processing outputs and bioinformatic analysis of genomic and transcriptomic data
- Pedagogical training and experience in teaching students for at least 2 years, ability to combine scientific activity with teaching activity in the field of genomics methods
- Good knowledge of Czech and English language (oral and written) - ability to teach in both Czech and English
- High professional level of research activity supported by publications in international impacted journals
- Publication activity and citation record: at least 5 relevant publications in impacted journals, total number of citations at least 50
- Prerequisites for professional growth and obtaining own research grants
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. RNDr. Jiří Fajkus, CSc., email firstname.lastname@example.org,, phone +420549494003.
- An interesting and creative job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Professional growth and career development opportunities
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- International working environment
- Employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution or nursery/children´s group allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare groups at Campus and Komenského náměstí)
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- Welcome Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 07.12.2023 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate shall provide following:
CV Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience Summary of research outputs and publications Names and contact details of at least 2 references After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!