KU is seeking an experienced & highly motivated Research Scientist to work on a funded project to investigate the development of novel and scalable technologies based on rationally engineered heterostructures for the realization of cost-effective, high energy density Na-S batteries with prolonged electrochemical reversibility. A range of complementary nanomaterials and synthesis protocols will be employed to realize synergistically assembled three-dimensional (3D) architectures for enhanced energy storage.
As part of the project, the research scientist will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU's Advanced Research and Innovation Center (ARIC, https://www.aric.ae) and the UAE-Korea Joint R & D Technical Center (KUTC) as well as KU's Core Labs, and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
- Lead research on the development of novel carbonaceous host structures with rationally optimized porous structures and surface properties for Na metal anode and S cathode with enhanced electrochemical stability and reversibility
- Have sufficient understanding of polysulfide formation and conversion in S cathodes while gained sufficient knowledge on the influence of polysulfide cross-talk between the Na anode and S cathode in full cell (Na-S) configurations.
- Obtained expert knowledge on characterization equipment, such as Microscopy (SEM, ESEM, TEM, UHR-SEM, AFM), material testing (FTIR-MS, DSC, TGA), XPS, XRD, UV/Vis spectrophotometry and other general materials testing tools
- Being familiar with the electrochemical techniques including battery test, cyclic voltammetry, electrolysis and ionic conductivity
- Contribute to writing grant proposals, drafting patents and papers, and attending conferences
- Supervise graduate students and other junior team members, while training new lab personnel on lab methods, safety protocols, and standard operating procedures
- PhD from a reputable university in electrochemistry, materials science or related discipline
- At least four (4) years of post-doctoral research experience and H-Index in SCOPUS/Google Scholar of at least 15
- Expert level knowledge project subject area as evidenced by relevant publications and or patents
- Track record of contributing to the writing of successful research grant proposals
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to lead work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD from and/or experience working in a top 300 QS or THE ranked University
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
- Experience leading competitive research grants as principal investigator or named co-investigator in the project team
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location: Abu Dhabi UAE
Job: Research Scientist
Job Type: Full-time