University Assistant Predoctoral, Physics
51 Faculty of Physics
Startdate: 01.12.2023 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc)
Limited until: 30.04.2027
Job ID: 1503
How can we perform table-top experiments to obtain new insights into the foundations of quantum physics? Can we measure gravitational effects on entangled photons for shining light onto the interface of quantum physics and gravity? Can we exploit quantum photonics technology for novel quantum machine learning, quantum computing and quantum cybersecurity applications? Can we scale-up multiphoton platforms by using integrated optics, quantum-dot single-photon sources and customized two-dimensional nonlinear materials? Such questions are the driving force behind our research. You will be part of our team and develop new ideas, technologies and experiments.
Your future tasks:
You will actively participate in research, teaching & administration. This means:
- You are involved in a specific and well-funded research project dedicated to quantum foundation experiments, useing single- and multi-photon states as well as photonic quantum computing
- You will present your research plan to the faculty and complete a dissertation agreement within 12-18 months. This will be reviewed and adapted on an annual basis.
- You will work on your dissertation and towards its completion in time. We expect a large degree of independence paired with a high level of social awareness as the goal will only be achieved in a team.
- You will contribute to teaching (lab courses, exercise classes) within the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
- You will fill some administrative tasks, contributing to the success and self-organization of the group for research, teaching and administration.
- You will continuously stay informed about the state of the art in your field.
- You contribute to outreach by publications, conference presentations and public activities.
This is part of your personality:
- You have completed your Master's degree or Diploma in physics.
- You have experience in academic writing
- You should ideally come with experience in experimental optics and/or experimental quantum optics, quantum computing, quantum photonic circuits, single-photon generation, quantum information theory, as well as hands- on training in experimental physics.
- You have an excellent command of written and spoken English
What we offer:
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team in a healthy and fair working environment.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Potential for development: Success in life depends on what you make of it, but if you are ambitious and successful, there are plenty of opportunities to connect you to all relevant top research groups in the world.
Internal further training & Coaching: The Vienna Doctoral School as well as the department of human resources offer plenty of opportunities to grow your skills in over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 2,457.00 (30h, 14x p.a.) increases if we can credit professional experience. The employment duration is 3,5 years. Initially limited to 1.5 years, the employment relationship is automatically extended to 3.5 years if the employer does not terminate it within the first 12 months by submitting a non-extension declaration.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- Your scientific curriculum vitae & Motivation Letter
- A summary of your previous academic and research achievements.
- A short statement on your research interests for the future.
- Your Bachelor’s and Master‘s degree: an excellent academic degree is a good entrance statement for this position.
- A letter of motivation (no more than one page)
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply.
In order to increase the percentage of women in Physics, the announced position is open to qualified female candidates only.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 11/17/2023