Role type: Full-time; Continuing
Faculty: Business and Economics
Salary: Level C - $140,433 - $161,926 p.a. plus 17% super
Level D - $169,094 - $186,288 p.a. plus 17% super
- Produce high-quality research, teach economics and econometrics, collaborate effectively, and adhere to university policies and ethics
- Opportunity to engage in cutting-edge research and teaching in a leading economics department at a prestigious university
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
The Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne is seeking Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor candidates with expertise in Environmental Economics and Econometrics. The role entails conducting high-quality research, teaching economics and econometrics at various levels, supervising students, and attracting research grants within a collaborative academic environment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conduct high-quality research in economics and econometrics, publishing in leading international journals and participating in academic conferences
- Teach specialised subjects in Economics or Econometrics at third year, Honors, or graduate levels, with possible core first or second-year subjects if required
- Supervise PhD students, advise Honors and Masters students, and foster high levels of achievement in undergraduate and graduate students
- Collaborate effectively within a large department, maintain knowledge of University policies and procedures, and ensure compliance with Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) and Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) responsibilities
Who We Are Looking For
You will have a strong record of academic engagement, fostering student success, and collaborating within a large department. Your mentoring skills, research contributions, and teaching excellence will make you an ideal candidate.
For Level C applicants, you will also have:
- Have completed or be in the final stages of completing a PhD (or an appropriate equivalent) in Economics or a related discipline
- Research interests and an ongoing research program in Economics or Econometrics as demonstrated by submissions to leading refereed journals and working papers
- Ability to teach in at least one specialist subject at the third year, Honours year or graduate level in Economics or Econometrics and a core first or second year subject in Economics, Econometrics or Quantitative Methods if required
For Level D applicants, you will also have:
- Have completed a PhD (or an appropriate equivalent) in Economics or related discipline
- A well-established, internationally-recognized research record that includes publication in top-ranked economics or econometrics journals and presentations at international conferences
- The ability to attract and generate research funds from competitive grants and other sources to support research
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Your New Team – Faculty of Business and Economics
The Department of Economics at the University of Melbourne is a leading economics department in Australia. The US News and World Report’s Best Global Universities rankings place the University of Melbourne 56th in the world in the disciplines of Economics and Business. In the widely used Tilburg ranking of economics departments, the University of Melbourne is ranked 32nd.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
Please Note: Applications are not being accepted via the University's Job Board. Please visit https://econjobmarket.org/positions/9870 to submit your application.
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Nick Petersen via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 3 December 2023 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST)
Position Description: FBE_0038905_Academic Economics_PD.docx