Research Associate / Research Fellow in Flow Cytometry
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a Research Associate/Research Fellow in Flow Cytometry to join School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, Academic Division.
The Ocular Cell Biology research program at QUT (Kelvin Grove Campus, Brisbane) is seeking to appoint a biomedical scientist to lead the design and implementation of protocols for the immunophenotyping and sorting of cells isolated from human corneas. In doing so, the appointee will join an Australian consortium of scientists, clinicians and experts in Good Manufacturing Practice BIENCOVision.com.au) in its goal to manufacture and distribute bioengineered corneal tissue for the treatment of eye disease.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the area
The Ocular Cell Biology research program at QUT (Kelvin Grove Campus, Brisbane) resides within the School of Biomedical Sciences and is one of several leading programs within the Centre for Vision and Eye Research.
For over twenty years, the Ocular Cell Biology research program, led by Professor Damien Harkin, has been assisting clinicians in their efforts to develop improved methods for the treatment of patients with eye disease..
What you need to succeed
- Successful completion of a Bachelor level degree in biomedical science, medical laboratory science or related discipline, combined with subsequent laboratory training gained through completion of either a postgraduate research degree (Masters or PhD) or equivalent level of research or industry experience (e.g., clinical immunology).
- Prior experience in techniques for the cultivation and/or isolation of mammalian cells from blood or tissue.
- A minimum of 3-years of experience in designing and implementing protocols for the immunophenotyping and sorting of mammalian cells.
- Familiarity with the operation of FlowJo and/or FACSDiva software packages for analysis and presentation of flow cytometry data.
- Expertise in drafting scientific reports and/or publication of manuscripts in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Prior experience in supervision and/or training of staff.
- Prior knowledge of ocular anatomy, physiology or pathology.
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic analyses of gene expression (e.g., RT-qPCR and Western blotting).
- Prior experience in quality control and quality assurance.
- Prior experience in working within a GMP-licensed laboratory.
Careers at QUT
We're committed to building a culture that fosters connection between people and purpose. Beyond personal and professional fulfillment, a career at QUT offers:
- A healthy work-life balance with a blend of on-campus and off-campus work arrangements for applicable positions.
- Competitive remuneration with up to 17% superannuation.
- Generous maternity leave including primary carer parental leave of up to 26 weeks (including 17% super).
- Stay healthy with Fitness Passport and enjoy discounted rates on private health insurance.
- Leave loading of 17.5%.
- Purchased Leave Scheme - up to 8 extra weeks.
- Salary Packaging Scheme for additional superannuation contributions, vehicle leasing, and on-campus services such as childcare, parking, and gyms.
- Numerous opportunities for professional development including leadership programs and workshops, and our study assistance scheme.
- Commitment to our Indigenous Australian staff through initiatives such as the Indigenous Australian Staff Network, Cultural and Ceremonial Leave, Staff Development Workshops, and representation on university committees.
- We see diversity and inclusion as our strengths.
- Explore more benefits of life at QUT.
We are guided by our values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, Innovation, and Academic Freedom and our QUT Connections in our mission to inspire and shape the next generation of change-makers.
In support of our Indigenous Australians Employment Strategy, we aspire to an Indigenous Australian workforce participation of 3.6% and we encourage Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people to join us in pursuing a fulfilling career.
We believe in creating safe spaces for inclusivity to flourish and we know that diversity is our strength – see our commitment. If you’re curious, innovative, and ready to experience what a career at QUT can offer, we’re ready to meet you.
Reference number: 23958
Term: Fixed-term, full-time basis for three (3) years
Remuneration: $87,917 to $119,296 pa (LEVA) (inclusive of $74,291 to $100,806 salary pa,17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading) OR $125,576 to $149,137 pa (LEVB) (inclusive of $106,113 to $126,022 salary pa,17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading)
Location: Kelvin Grove
Job opens: 03-Oct-2023
Applications Close: 22-Oct-2023 at 11:30 pm
Open to: Applicants who have ongoing full-time work rights in Australia. In support of our strategic priority of Indigenous Australian success, Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.