Research Fellow (Upscaling Tandem)
The NISCM Cluster focuses on the research and development of cost-effective high-efficiency solar cells that are suitable for high-volume manufacturing. This includes both single-junction wafer-based silicon solar cells as well as perovskite/silicon tandem solar cells. Full-size n-type Cz silicon wafers are used as substrates and processed into either monofacial or bifacial solar cells. Selected research topics of the cluster include doped semiconductors (e.g. a-Si, poly-Si), tandem solar cell development, silicon bulk passivation, ultra-thin layers and new materials for passivated contacts, alternative doping methods (e.g. doped thin films), laser processing and advanced metallisation.
We are looking for a motivated candidate to lead the development of large-area (> 400 cm2), 2-terminal (2T) perovskite/silicon solar cells and reduce the barrier to manufacturing of 2T tandem solar cells and modules.
- Fabrication of > 30% “industrially-viable” and “stable” large-area (> 400 cm2) high-efficiency 2T perovskite/silicon tandem cells.
- A team player towards integration of the ~30% cells to a commercially relevant PV module.
- Research focusing on the following:
- Conceptualization, design, development and fabrication of low-cost methods for tandem solar cells & modules with a specific focus on upscaling and commercialisation.
- Developing a commercially relevant intellectual property (IP) portfolio.
- Drive analysis and characterisation for complex industrial processes especially at an early stage of the commercialisation.
- Perform design-of-experiments (DOE) and advanced characterization to obtain optimised unit layers.
- Designing advanced patterning methods and/or masked/selective deposition.
- Effectively contribute in the project team(s) for solar cell & module efficiency improvements.
- Assist in developing new processes and improving existing processes.
- Regularly present loss (and gain) analysis of tandem cells
- Be involved in roadmap discussions and contribute to the design and development of new processing tools and processes
- Lead as well as conduct processing for high-efficiency perovskite/silicon tandem solar cells using tools such as: PVD, ALD, sputtering, evaporation, slot-die coating, spin-coating, wet chemical baths, PECVD, tube furnaces, laser tools, screen printing, annealing stations and curing/firing furnaces.
- Develop key metrology metrics and workflows to enable in-line integration in future tandem solar cell production lines. This includes methods such as spectroscopic ellipsometry, contact resistivity, Hall, current-voltage (I-V) testing, quantum efficiency (QE), time-resolved photoluminescence (TRPL), photoluminescence quantum yield (PLQY), x-ray diffraction (XRD), x-ray fluorescence (XRF), mass spectroscopy (ICP-MS), electron microscopy (SEM/TEM/FIB), contact potential, photo-electron spectroscopy (PESA, UPS, XPS) and other relevant characterization methods.
- Assist the group with processing and characterisation services for various industry-funded and public-funded projects.
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Materials Sciences or Physics, with a specialization in perovskite/silicon tandem photovoltaics.
- 3-5 years of experience in large-area perovskite top cell fabrication, thin-film solar cells, tandem cells and characterization, or other relevant experience.
- Must be target/KPI-driven and well organized
- Must be able to manage multiple stakeholders (internal and external) and work effectively on highly confidential projects.
- Regular, reliable and predictable attendance and reporting is required.
- Must be able to independently plan, initiate/execute and report on research activities. Project manage¬ment experience is a plus, including managing a team of process and equipment engineers supporting the R&D activities
- Researchers with prior experience on development of 2T perovskite/silicon tandem cells will be highly preferred.
- Required to work in semiconductor cleanroom and characterisation lab.
- Expertise in relevant scientific software and/or scientific software development is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication (in English) skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Must be able to work well with others in a collaborative team environment.
- Effective communication of ideas and results to the team and/or other stakeholders is crucial.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Solar Energy Research Inst of S'pore
Department: Research Cluster
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 21091