This is an exciting time to join the team at King’s Sport & Wellness and this role will play a key part in supporting the development of our pitch quality, planning and development as well as operations at New Malden Sports Ground.
- To support the delivery of outstanding Sports Grounds pitches and operations as part of the New Malden Sports Ground Team. Working with the Senior Grounds Person and Sports Grounds Manager to enhance the quality of our facilities and user experiences.
- To work with the Senior Grounds Person at New Malden to review and enhance our sports pitch performance, working in partnership with the Senior Grounds Person to develop pitch care programmes, to deliver pitches for student sport and our customers.
- To assist the Senior Sports Grounds Person in managing the King’s Sport & Wellness facility to deliver the key strategic objective of delivering world class services to the wider university community.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
- To act in accordance with the guiding principles as set out in the Strategic Vision 2029: to be an exceptional institution, focusing on excellence in Facilities Management; to create an inclusive environment that enables successful endeavour.
- To support the Senior Grounds Person in planning and implementing programmes and daily work schedules to aid the maintenance and preparation of high quality sports ground playing surfaces, including grass and artificial facilities and the upkeep of ancillary Sports Grounds areas.
- To support pitch renovations and developing an annual plan and associated budget for all pitches at New Malden for student sport and external customers.
- Support the development and implementation of quality Sports Ground operational standards. Creating positive environments for playing sport and delivering world-class services that enhance sport experience of our University community.
- To support the Senior Grounds Person in producing pitch performance reports, based on IOG pitch grading framework, collecting data and reporting back to King’s Sport & Wellness Management
- To assist with the maintenance, cleaning and repair of equipment necessary for the operation of the grounds and pavilion, and for all associated equipment
- To ensure that the facilities and services are operating with the appropriate levels of Health and Safety, working closely with the University Estates and H&SS Teams, ensuring all compliance documentation including Operational Manuals, Risk Assessments, NOP’s and EAP’s are in place and up to date.
- To be responsible for identifying any issues arising as a consequence of any formal health and safety audits undertaken periodically across the Grounds. Ensure accidents, incidents and 'near misses' are reported, investigated and actioned, and that lessons are learnt from health and safety investigations and service adjustments made.
- To develop good working relationships with student and external sports clubs and Partners that are priority user of the Sports Ground facilities to improve their sport experience.
- To maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of all facilities and services available for use and to be aware of innovations in the industry, led by IOG.
- To be qualified to handle, calibrate and apply pesticides, fertilisers and fungicides and to supervise others carrying out such work; proactively ensuring that relevant knowledge and skill is up to date and in line with relevant regulations and codes of practice.
- To assist in the promotion of sport at King’s and to endorse the brand identity and Values of King’s College London and King’s Sport & Wellness.
- Act as a role model for professional behaviour and best practice.
- Conduct any further duties, which may reasonably be required by the Senior Grounds Person or King’s Sport & Wellness Senior Management commensurate with the grade. Including working at weekends and evenings as required.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. A Sports Grounds Maintenance qualification, or demonstrable experience or technical knowledge
2. PA1 and PA6 spraying certificates
3. NVQ L2 standard in Amenity Horticulture and/or Sports Turf Maintenance.
4. Commitment to Continued Professional Development
5. Knowledge of Grounds management and procedures
6. Excellent communication skill across a variety of customer groups and ability to forge good relationships with a variety of departments or user groups
7. Experience of working with the needs of a broad range of Sports Ground users and stakeholder management
8. Knowledge of Sports Grounds organisations and structures
9. Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety regulations
10. Required to have knowledge of and ability to use Sportsgrounds machinery and relevant hand tools
1. GCSE or equivalent A-C grade
2. First Aid Qualified
3. A positive experience of working with HE students and staff, and members of the public