King’s Strategic Vision 2029 sets out our vision for the future, shaped around five priority areas: educate to inspire and improve; research to inform and innovate; serve to shape and transform; a civic university at the heart of London; and an international community that services the world. Our ambitious Education Strategy sets out the actions that we must take to transform how we teach, how and where our students learn and how we support them during their time with us.
The Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences is seeking to recruit an assessment officer to be part of the administrative team providing support for all aspects of the administration of the examinations of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) & BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene (DTH) programmes and the external Overseas Registration Examination (ORE). Providing a professional, supportive, responsive and personable service incorporating front-line support as the first point of contact for students and academic staff. Supporting assessment processes across the whole academic cycle, ensuring accurate and timely record management across multiple systems.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post (with hybrid working in line with King’s policy)
- Support all student assessment processes in line with university deadlines and regulations, and Faculty and external requirements, utilising systems and databases - e.g. student records systems, exam software and virtual learning environments, and in accordance with best practice, ensuring consistency of data and identify and resolving issues. These processes include:
1) the running of BDS and BSc DTH assessments and the ORE examinations’ processes, including but not limited to administrative preparation, venue booking, invigilator management, organising candidates, collating and checking results;
2) ensuring comprehensive and up-to-date online examination resources are available for students and staff via KEATS (virtual learning environment) and Sharepoint;
3) planning and preparation for clinical assessments.
- Take responsibility for resolving students’ and academics’ enquiries, including face-to-face and via email, responding within agreed timeframes and escalating complex enquiries as appropriate.
- Providing basic analytical and statistical breakdown of results for examinations as required.
- Assist in servicing meetings and assessment boards as directed by your line manager.
- Actively participate in the development and improvement of the assessments and processes through identifying and suggesting improvements based on user feedback.
- Work flexibly as part of a team, supporting others in times of high volume activity, providing cover and supporting the training and development of new staff members.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development, through agreeing clear performance objectives, maintaining up-to-date knowledge and reflecting on own performance.
- Take personal accountability for the data quality of student and assessment records, ensuring records are accurately maintained in accordance with the agreed retention schedules.
- Ensure all work is carried out in a professional and timely manner, with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity. Maintain an up to date knowledge of the data protection requirements and to support Freedom of information and subject access requests.
- Carry out other reasonable responsibilities commensurate with the grading of the post as required.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Degree level or equivalent qualification or experience
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to draft documents and correspondence
3. Excellent organisation and time management skills and the ability to balance competing priorities under pressure
4. Strong numeracy skills and ability to analyse complex numerical data
5. Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, ability to work on new systems and a good understanding of using Microsoft Excel
6. Methodical, detail oriented and flexible in approach to work, maintaining a high level of accuracy
7. Ability to work with a broad range of stakeholders in a professional and assured manner
8. Proactive with the ability to work independently as well as delivering within a team
9. Experience of working in a customer facing environment with a knowledge of how to address complaints and service setbacks in a professional and efficient manner
10. Commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace
11. Experience of organising assessments or examinations
12. Experience of using virtual learning environments
13. Experience in the use of databases, student records systems (such as SITS) and website content management systems