Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Computer Sciences
- Full time, fixed term for two years
- Be part of the Adaptive Key-value Store for Future Extreme Heterogeneous Systems project
- Base Salary $105,350 - $140,586 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Established as the first computer science department in Australia, the School of Computer Science (SCS) is research intensive and has a strong tradition of research-led teaching. The School offers undergraduate majors in computer science, information systems, data science, and software development within its flagship Bachelor of Advanced Computing degree and combined degree programs with commerce and science. SCS also offers postgraduate coursework degrees in Information Technology and Information Technology Management, Data Science, and the Master of Health Technology Innovation. SCS is one of the six schools in the Faculty of Engineering, which has a strong position within Australia and worldwide. To learn more about the School click here
We are currently seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Research Fellow to be part of a team working on a research project "Adaptive Key-value Store for Future Extreme Heterogeneous Systems", funded as an Australian Research Council Discovery Project. The project looks to design key-value stores to effectively exploit diverse modern hardware configurations, including computation accelerators and storage technologies, with a goal to then help choose a suitable design based on the workload characteristics and the available hardware.
As the Postdoctoral Research Associate your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to the design of key-value stores that exploit modern hardware
- lead implementation work, involving details of concurrency and data management internals
- evaluate collect measurements, and diagnose bottlenecks which you will then rectify
- contribute to writing academic papers and publishing results
- mentor research students.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD in computer science, computer engineering or a relevant field (or equivalent experience; we will also consider applicants whose thesis will be submitted before they start work on the project, even if thesis examination has not been completed by then)
- considerable experience in implementation at system level, working carefully with details of concurrency, memory allocation/deallocation, etc
- experience in evaluating performance, including collecting measurements with benchmark suites, and analysing/interpreting results
- an understanding of performance characteristics of a variety of modern hardware components
- the ability to express ideas clearly in writing
- experience in working collaboratively as part of a team
To be appointed at level B you will need the following experience in addition to the above
- an awarded PhD plus some additional experience
- experience in taking initiative in designing systems-level components, and/or in designing experimental evaluation
- experience in guiding research activities of others
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page. Note that the closing date is using local time in Sydney; any applicant located in other time zones should check carefully, as this is one day earlier in many places.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
If you have questions about the project or how the role would fit within the project, contact Professor Alan Fekete at email@example.com. For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Cherie Goodwin or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 29 October 2023 11:59 PM
More searches like this
- General Engineering Academic Posts Australia jobs in Sydney
- General Engineering Postdocs Australia jobs in Sydney
- General Engineering Other Academic Australia jobs in Sydney
- General Engineering Research Related Australia jobs in Sydney
- General Engineering Other Research Related Australia jobs in Sydney