School: Design School
Department: Department of Architecture
Position Title: Faculty Positions in Architecture
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Salary and benefits packages are competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
Position ID: 3547
Advertisement Closing Date: 31st January 2024
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and an educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and the exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for the UK and other institutional partners. At the same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practices, and culture from the west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DEPAETMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
The Department of Architecture at XJTLU nurtures a climate of open discourse with a firmly established tolerance of views and positions, where risk taking and speculative experiments can flourish.
The Architecture programs offers globally competitive design programmes at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels, with a focus on educating architectural designers in both a Chinese and international context. Research areas within the department include but are not limited to cultural innovation, digital design and fabrication, history and heritage, practice-based research.
The Department cultivates a learning environment that fosters independent, innovative and responsible designers with a thoughtful and imaginative approach to space making. We recruit students from amongst the top 5% of high school students. Synergy with the University of Liverpool leads the department to also recruit from overseas, ensuring a diverse student body. Our students benefit from the dynamic atmosphere of the department, due to its engagement with the vibrant architecture and construction context of Suzhou and the wider region, as well as its involvement in live projects, competitions, conferences, and other academic institutions and events.
- Teach one design studio and one taught module a semester including student academic mentoring
- Research through classic academic realm via research projects, innovations and publication or via architectural practice or art in architecture. Publications at a level appropriate for the discipline and designation. Applications to external research funds;
- Service to support the administrative side of the department, school and the university or extra curricula activities for students, staff, discipline.
- Complete theHigher Education Qualification unless already holding one teaching certification or similar
- Participation in departmental activities and administrative life.
- Positions of administrative responsibility at departmental/school level.
- Typical split of teaching: research: service is 40:40:20.
Successful applicants to the position of Lecturer/Assistant Professor should possess:
- PhD in Architecture with two years of teaching experience
- Or Master degree in Architecture with minimum of 2 years practice and education experience
- Fluent in English
Successful applicants to more senior ranks should also possess:
- PhD in Architecture with a minimum of 7 years of academic experience and excellence in academic achievements
- Or Master degree in Architecture with minimum 10 years practices, including extensive senior executive experience equivalent of design Director and 2 years education experience
- Fluent in English
Applications from all areas of expertise will be considered, however we are particularly interested in this who can offer specialism in the following areas environmental/sustainable design, digital design and (robotic) fabrication, building technology and/or structural design.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program - Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- Innovation Leading Talent
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on XJTLU career website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=3547&company=xjtlu
Applications must be submittedthat includes 3parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level, contact details forthree References
- Teaching and project portfolio (it is also acceptable as an additional attachment to be sent viaemail to Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn)
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr.Davide LombardiatDavide.Lombardi@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yangat Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.