Director, Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute
- ALE $208,299 including 17% superannuation
- Full time, 5 year contract | Based at our Bentley campus
- Play a pivotal role in shaping the future of biomedical and bioscience research
Job Reference: 1129743
Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute
Imagine a world where we don't just treat diseases but uncover their deepest secrets, where we don't just manage chronic illnesses but prevent them altogether. At the Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute (CHIRI), we dare to dream big. We're home to visionary scientists who defy the status quo, harbor revolutionary ideas, and crave the thrill of the unknown.
Our mission is to be the vanguard in the battle against terminal and lifelong chronic diseases. We're on a quest to discover new ways of prevention and treatment, and we do it by empowering researchers who dare to think beyond the boundaries of conventional wisdom.
As a medical research centre of excellence, situated in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Curtin University, CHIRI provides a fertile ground for researchers from diverse backgrounds to explore uncharted territories. We focus on unravelling the mysteries behind vascular, respiratory, and metabolic diseases, inflammatory disorders, brain degeneration, neurological conditions, and some of the most challenging cancers.
Your new role
As the Director of Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute (CHIRI), you'll play a pivotal role in shaping the future of biomedical and bioscience research within the Faculty of Health Sciences. You'll be at the helm of state-of-the-art research facilities and champion collaborations with biomedical researchers from around the world.
As our Director, you will:
- Lead and propel internationally recognised, high-quality research in your field of expertise.
- Secure external funding for CHIRI and implement strategies to ensure a sustainable stream of grant income.
- Craft and execute a comprehensive institute plan for ground-breaking biomedical research.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and innovation, guiding cohesive teams toward high-impact research.
- Attract major research grants and fellowships as the driving force behind innovative projects.
- Share your discoveries through seminars, workshops, conferences, and by engaging with diverse stakeholders to facilitate the translation of research into real-world solutions.
- Lead CHIRI to national prominence in your field, making us a beacon of research excellence.
Ignite Passion for Learning:
- Elevate the quality of training for higher degree research students within CHIRI.
- Contribute to teaching and learning activities as your expertise allows.
Inspire Leadership and Service:
- Steer CHIRI with exemplary leadership.
- Attract and engage researchers of national and international acclaim, forging research alliances, collaborations, and fellowships.
- Champion Institute and Faculty-wide initiatives, nurturing collaborative networks, research leadership, and mentorship.
- Cultivate a harmonious and supportive work environment, all while never losing sight of the pursuit of research excellence.
- Embody the highest standards of professional conduct, in line with the University's Code of Conduct and Vision, Mission, and Values.
We're looking for someone with:
- A doctoral qualification in a relevant discipline, complemented by extensive postdoctoral research experience and leadership.
- A distinguished track record of research outputs published in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals or outlets aligned with your field.
- Evidence of a national reputation and a growing international profile, backed by journal rankings, citation indices, critical acclaim, awards, or invitations to esteemed institutions and conferences.
- Expertise in research leadership, excelling at team management and coordination.
- A track record of securing research funding, including nationally competitive research grants and fellowships.
- Proven experience in guiding and supporting higher degree research students, postdoctoral researchers, and staff.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, coupled with a commitment to nurturing a collegial, inclusive, and culturally sensitive work environment.
To learn more about this opportunity and our University, please review our candidate information booklet here – https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au/plus/s/JIl1BuQewbBKZi7
Or contact Professor Helen McCutcheon, PVC Faculty of Health Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org
Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, the cutting-edge research hub within Curtin University's Faculty of Health Sciences. Nestled at the heart of the CHIRI - BioSciences Research precinct, we offer you access to state-of-the-art facilities, including cutting-edge animal and PC2 laboratories. Here, we foster strong partnerships with biomedical researchers within the faculty, creating a vibrant ecosystem of innovation.
For more information about CHIRI please visit https://research.curtin.edu.au/chiri/
Curtin University isn’t just an institution; we're a movement dedicated to shaping a better future through research and education.
We are an energetic, dedicated team of academics and professionals working together to provide global solutions through quality graduates and innovative research. Curtin is a welcoming space where integrity, respect for one another, courage, excellence, and impact are essential to everyday life. Situated on Whadjuk Nyungar Country, our vibrant campus includes an art gallery, gym, hotel, bus station, childcare and medical centre, and endless food options including a supermarket.
We encourage a progressive and diverse workplace, offering generous superannuation and salary packaging benefits. We are committed to looking after our employees by promoting health and wellbeing, work flexibility, and personal development opportunities.
For more information about our university and what we have to offer, please visit https://www.curtin.edu.au/about/
Please provide a cover letter, your CV and separate document addressing the selection criteria (as noted on the position description) to allow us to assess your suitability for this role.
To view a copy of the Position Description please copy and paste the following link into your browser - https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au/plus/s/VRuBC4UG4LLkWgU
Applications close: Sunday 22 October 2023, 1 pm AWST
Applicants should note that prior to appointment, any offer of employment is subject to completion of National Police Records checks, and background, integrity, and reference checks to Curtin’s satisfaction. At Curtin, we are committed to being a Child Safe organisation and this position may also require you to have a current Working With Children Check.
If you have any queries in relation to this application process, please contact our careers team on 08 9266 9000 (option 3,1), quoting the reference number.
Please note we are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies at this time.