Research Scientist, Atmospheric / Radiative Transfer / Satellite Remote Sensing
The Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing and Processing (CRISP) of the National University of Singapore (NUS), in collaboration with the Earth Observatory of Singapore / Asian School of the Environment, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) seeks to further extend our remote sensing capabilities to the detection and quantification of the physical (ash cloud height, particle effective radius and mass concentration) and optical characteristics (optical thickness, particle size distribution, refractive indexes) of volcanic ash particles by leveraging on the availability of multi-spectral, high temporal and spatial resolution of modern geo-stationary satellites such as Himawari 8/9 and GEMS and sun- synchronous/polar orbit satellite such as ESA’s Sentinel-5P, Sentinel-3, Sentinel- 2 and NASA’s Terra, Aqua, Aura, Landsat-8, 9. As such, and under a recently funded project initiative, we have an opening for a remote sensing scientist specializing in atmospheric radiation, radiative transfer and/or satellite remote sensing.
- A recent Ph.D. in physics, atmospheric and/or planetary science or a closely related discipline from a reputable university. Experienced candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in the development and application of numerical radiative transfer schemes/models to the detection of volcanic ash, atmospheric aerosols and/or clouds from satellite imagery. Working knowledge of inversion methods used in satellite remote sensing would be a distinctive advantage.
- Excellent working knowledge of atmospheric radiation in the visible, IR and thermal regions of the electromagnetic spectrum as well as well as numerical methods used in radiative transfer.
- Fluency in Fortran 77/90, C/C++ including writing, debugging, and optimizing code in a UNIX/Linux environment. Familiarity with Python/IDL/MatLab or other scripting languages would be a plus.
- The ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) and work effectively independently and in a team environment.
Location: 10 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Block S17, Singapore 119076
Organization: National University of Singapore
Department : Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing & Processing
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job Requisition ID : 52033126